Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any 351 Cleveland engine fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eastsidetorino View Post
    You can tell the good engine builders by their excitement over building a 351C. The shit shops Ive gone to in the past always whine and try to sell me a SBF. But, sadly my Torino is still in texas as are all my cleveland stuff. (BTW, I do have an extra motor (2v) and 4v(open) heads for sale..because I just dont want to ship them to Hawaii with the car.
    How much are you asking for the 4v heads? in good shape, no cracks etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      How much are you asking for the 4v heads? in good shape, no cracks etc?
      check pms

Comment

I have three cleveland crankshafts in the engine parts listing for $75 for all three. Check it out if your interested.

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
          Digging the old school pictures…

Since we’ve got the attention of some of our more (ahem) senior members - does anybody remember a blown (6-71?) Super Duty owned by a guy named Lucky? I only saw the car a handful of times and while it looked and sounded awesome it was an explosion waiting to happen. He seemed to have great difficulty making clean passes. Always wondered what became of that car.
          I saw it at a car show in North Richland Hills about a yr. ago. Still owned by "Lucky". The car looked exactly the same... it brought back some memories.

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
            Yep.
            He told me he DROVE the car down there, slicks in the back seat, changed tires and ran a 9++. Stock wheel studs, no NHRA license etc.. They pulled his ticket and sent him on his way.

And yes, Doug Nash it was, but I believe he went to a Jerico later on.
            NOBODY rowed as well as he did though, that's for sure.

David
            What amazed me was the simplicity of his setup... it just worked. It's kind of a shame that the same coupe is now all tubbed out.

Comment

Another one of my all time favs was the purple Henry J with a 289 that ran like a bat out of hell. He had a bumper sticker that read 'why be normal'.

Comment

When i was in high school I had two mustangs, a 71 and a 72. The 71 started as a six cylinder 200 CID. I then found the 72 for sale, it had a 351C with 4V heads and an auto, I believe FMX tranny. It was a real turd down low but came alive fairly well with some RPM. I ran that car into a telephone pole and messed up a quarterpanel. I then put a 429 Thunderjet engine in the 71 with 4.11 gears. That ran fairly nice for the time and would bust up most 5.0s and IROCs on the road. This was around 1987 when the only aftermarket heads for the 5.0 were the Wil Burt heads and no one had them. This was right about the time the GT-40 intake came out and everyone took a double take at it and thought it was from Star Trek.

The 351C has a lot of potential. The most obvious thing to do if you have a block and the 4V heads is to add as many cubes as you can to put those big ass ports to work. There is a guy over on Yellow bullet doing just that, running something like 400 ci and stock iron 4V heads and if I recall correctly he is running mid 10s on motor alone.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

When my car used to look like this it had a NA stroked Cleveland in it (377)...ran 11.0's @124 with full interior, through 3" mufflers, and shifted with a top loader...and it was a streetcar.

You can make a Cleveland run if you know what you're doing.
                  70' Chevelle RagTop
                  (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I can remember in the mid 80’s David Painter’s ‘boat anchor’ 67 coupe owned the streets around here. It was funny to see him drive to the track (or the street races), call out some trailered big block Chevy and take their money every time. Never saw him miss a shift, never saw him break and never saw him lose a race. Here we are almost 30 years later awash in a sea of aluminum headed dyno queens and he’d still be quicker than most.

<--- Nothing but love for old school Ford power.
                    That's where the heads came from on The 377C that I posted about above...off of Painter's engine that was in that black coupe.

When we pulled that motor out of the 70' we freshened the short block and upgraded to a set of the old C302 (Pre Yates) Nascar heads. Those heads flowed 345 @ .600 and 373 @ .700 lift...we were running a .720 grind in it. However, the new combo realized a bit lower compression...which wound up being perfect for the blow-through ProCharger setup that ended up on it.

It went in this 69' Mach that was eventually sold to the owner of Air Ride Technologies, who whored the car out in a bunch of ads for a few years after, and ragged the shit out of it.

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Pantera w/Aussie built 351c 4bbl. I'll take 2.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I remember that car. I liked it so much I took a picture. Sweet ass sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryJ View Post
                          Another one of my all time favs was the purple Henry J with a 289 that ran like a bat out of hell. He had a bumper sticker that read 'why be normal'.
                          Did it look like this one??

Comment

Bruce Sizemore had an I/G Pinto that ran a 300ci inline Ford six cylinder. The head was made up of 3 peices of Cleveland heads that were brazed togther. Killed the index for that class. Car ran in the 9.90 range.

Comment

My second car was a '69 Mach 1 that was an original 428cj car that someone had blown up and put a closed chamber 4bbl head cleveland in. I had pulled the motor built w/ a comp 292/560 cam and 11.5 compression. That's when you ran Sonic Turbo mufflers($12.95 each @Suer Shops) w/ turn downs. 3500 converter on a c6 and 4.10 gears. I outran a lot of people on the east side of town, Mesquite/Garland in the early to mid 80s. That car would rattle the covered parking at the Dairy Queen (I know kinda redneck, lived in Forney) so bad that everyone would get up and walk to the front and look out to see what was happening. That f-er sounded good idling, you could feel it hitting your chest standing beside it.

There was a guy in the late 80s that had a black fox body car w/ cleveland in it w/ a top loader that was fast. Never saw the '67.

Comment

I remember that car. I liked it so much I took a picture. Sweet ass sweet.
                                Good pic...thanks! That was when it was still VERY fresh...it didn't even have the Charger on it yet. Not a lot of people knew it but we actually pushed that damned thing in & out of the show that year b/c we were still thrashing on it up until that day and couldn't get it to stay running...it was fuel fouling the plugs. We eventually got it all worked out and rigged up the ProCharger (that was an interesting bracket challenge on that combo) in time for the Powertour that year.

Here's a front angle from that same show....

70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

Working...
                                X