Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any 351 Cleveland engine fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Cleveland with that front sump pan is the LAST thing I would put in a cobra kit car....can you say oil starvation under acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
      Had a 351C in my '73 Mustang convertible... always liked 'em.

The continued evolution of the SBF (and particularly the extensive availability of aluminum SBF cylinder heads) kinda' put the nail in the 351C's coffin.

mardyn

Look anything like this one? I showed this one for a while and did quite well. Ran very nice too. True Ram Air car and had a dealer installed BOSS (HO) in it.

Aside from the "blimp hangars" and oil issue (which was easy to over come), the mills were stupid strong in the big end.

David

Comment

purty

Comment

I've got nothing but love for both of Ford's misunderstood canted valve engines. Both dominate with a REAL set of aluminum heads (not E-bock garbage). CHI cleveland heads flow 350+ out of the box and Jon Kaase P51 460 heads flow 400 out of the box. I don't know any SBF SBC or BBC heads that can flow anything close to those numbers.

Yeah, they both have some downsides but its nothing that stomping on the skinny pedal can't make you forget
          1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

A good friend of mine had a 351C 4V in his 70 Mach 1. The intakes on those heads just scream power adder. Small children could use the intake ports as a slide.

Last edited by 03trubluGT; 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
              Had a 351C in my '73 Mustang convertible... always liked 'em.

The continued evolution of the SBF (and particularly the extensive availability of aluminum SBF cylinder heads) kinda' put the nail in the 351C's coffin.

mardyn
              the EPA and the gas crisis put the nail in the 351C's coffin...

they continued the architecture with the M's in the trucks that didn't have to meet strict emissions.

the architecture has also continued in racing (Nascar, Busch, etc.)

if it wasn't for the EPA and the gas crisis, the cleveland might have had a chance to evolve at the OEM level
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                A good friend of mine had a 351C 4V in his 70 Mach 1. The intakes on those heads just scream power adder. Small children could use the intake ports as a slide.

I put tongues in the ports of my Cleveland and it helped immensely. Low end increased [almost] exponentially after adding them, and a better tune on the carb.

David

Comment

I can remember in the mid 80’s David Painter’s ‘boat anchor’ 67 coupe owned the streets around here. It was funny to see him drive to the track (or the street races), call out some trailered big block Chevy and take their money every time. Never saw him miss a shift, never saw him break and never saw him lose a race. Here we are almost 30 years later awash in a sea of aluminum headed dyno queens and he’d still be quicker than most.

<--- Nothing but love for old school Ford power.

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
                    I can remember in the mid 80’s David Painter’s ‘boat anchor’ 67 coupe owned the streets around here. It was funny to see him drive to the track (or the street races), call out some trailered big block Chevy and take their money every time. Never saw him miss a shift, never saw him break and never saw him lose a race. Here we are almost 30 years later awash in a sea of aluminum headed dyno queens and he’d still be quicker than most.

I remember that car from back then, bitch was bad. saw him tear up plenty of ass out behing Miller brewery off I35.

That car was running 6.60's-50's back then and at that point the baddest of the bad trailer cars were doing good to run 5.90s, hell pro mods where barely running 4.90s, 80s at that point

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post

I remember him and the car well. I still don't think I've ever seen/heard anyone that could shift like him.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                        I remember him and the car well. I still don't think I've ever seen/heard anyone that could shift like him.
                        If I'm not mistaken he had a top loader that he sent to Liberty had them build for him

Comment

I know it was a top loader, but I don't know anything else about it.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                            I know it was a top loader, but I don't know anything else about it.
                            Actually I take that back it was Doug Nash that built it.
                            I have a freind that ran 5 speeds back then and knew him he needed something stronger and didn't want to run a 5 speed so he sent his tranny to Doug Nash and they worked it over.

Comment

The weekends of my misspent youth were wasted at Garden Acres, Miller and Industrial. No point in going to Kennedale – all the best racing was on the street.

If I remember correctly there was a blurb in Super Ford back then about Painter breaking into the 9’s at some event in Houston and getting booted from the track.

Comment

As for the car – it was the definition of a sleeper. The only outward concessions to speed were the lack of a heater and a milled choke tower. He ran through the mufflers, had a full interior and (as I remember) the car was all steel. Slapper bars out back. What you couldn’t see were the heavily epoxied ports. That car was a freak.

Comment

Working...
                                X