Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any 351 Cleveland engine fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 351 Cleveland engine fans out there?

I know the distribtor was junk. 2bbl head engine that was top notch besides that. Went in a Cobra kit car in Arkansas.

Second one was 4 bolt mains, closed chamber heads. More of a screamer with forged pistons and 280 Comp Cam. Heads were already machined for adjustable valve train. It went to North Carolina. Car is still in the body shop.

Last edited by tkblkcobra; 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM. Reason: added to title

Comment

I was years ago. 335/385 series stuff use to rule. They had their little oiling issues, but nothing that couldn't be machined or modded. It all got too expensive, and technology surpassed their limits. Pound -for-pound, a cammed (solid lifter) Boss 351 is still one of my favorites.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          I was years ago. 335/385 series stuff use to rule. They had their little oiling issues, but nothing that couldn't be machined or modded. It all got too expensive, and technology surpassed their limits. Pound -for-pound, a cammed (solid lifter) Boss 351 is still one of my favorites.
          I totally agree with you. These engines were made before most of the board members were born.

Comment

9K24 = October 24th 1969. D0AE castings. These heads were sold separate. Vietnam era stuff. Long Racing Engines in Irving did the work.

Comment

I still have a complete 73 4v C , a 429 TJ and a 460 in my colection . They are still fun to build just like the FE stuff but it aint cheap .
              Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by tkblkcobra View Post
                9K24 = October 24th 1969. D0AE castings. These heads were sold separate. Vietnam era stuff. Long Racing Engines in Irving did the work.
                Hey, I'm older than those...just barely though.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Daddy like. One of my first hot rods was a horrible booty-fabbed Pinto with a 351c in it. Fucking deathtrap that eventually twisted so bad the doors wouldn't open and shut right.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Had a 351C in my '73 Mustang convertible... always liked 'em.

The continued evolution of the SBF (and particularly the extensive availability of aluminum SBF cylinder heads) kinda' put the nail in the 351C's coffin.

mardyn

Comment

A friend of mine has about 6 of them, a couple of 4 bolts and some Aussy blocks also. I helped him build one a few years back, it's a hell of a nice motor he just hasn't used it yet. 4 bolt block, steel crank, eagle rods, 11-1 pistons, ported 2v heads with stainless valves, A old but new cam dynamics solid cam and a Holley Strip dominator intake. Should run good, going in a 71 mustang.

Comment

71 Mach I that I bought in high school. 285 hp closed chamber engine. 4 speed. I bought it in 1973. I know the wheels suck. In fact the front wheels I bought did not have a valve stem hole in one of them. Cheap Rocket wheels. Had I lot of fun with that car. One of the nicer cars in the parking lot in school for a junior.

Comment

351C = Boat Anchor. IMO.
                          http://www.69ecatsstrip.com

Comment

Boat anchor?

I would hardly call them a boat anchor. I might build one just to stir the pot.

Comment

Here is a genuine boat anchor. IMO. Freeze crack that extended into cylinder.
                              I had to toss a std bore block.

Comment

Working...
                              X