The 11th hour of the 11th day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 11th hour of the 11th day...

Received this last night from one of my very good friends who served with my dad's Group:

Gd’evening Folks;

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month – the time, the day the month 1918 – the exact time that ended the “War To End All Wars” I don’t recall when it was that Congress changed it to Veteran’s Day, but now it is a day to honor and remember all Veterans of all our wars. Heaven knows we’ve had our share of wars in recent years, that have added a goodly number of Veterans to the rolls.

There are no more Veterans from that “War To End All Wars”; the ranks of WW II “Ancient Ones” are getting thiner by the day, as are the Korean Veterans. Today I had a phone call from Ed Connor. Of the approx 200 members of the 13th Bomb. Sq. that sailed on the Ancon Jan. 31, ’42 he and I are the only two still here to the best of our knowledge. The Nam Veterans and those from more recent wars will be with us for a long time. All of you that are Veterans, have a great day and hoist a cold one for me. All you who are not Veterans take the time to wish one well.

Jack Heyn

WW II Ancient One

Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

They were going to end the war on the day before but then they realized they couldn't have two great occasions on the same day.
    class joke
    {
    private:
    char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
    double Peas, Carrots;
    string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
    };

Comment

Working...
    X