B17 in Culpeper, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B17 in Culpeper, VA

Supposedly this is one of the last in operation. They were selling flights for $430 a head for back seats and $800 for front. Didn't have enough money for the choo choo ride so I opted for the five dollar tour.

Taxiing from its last flight of the day:

Last edited by SS Junk; 08-31-2014, 04:50 PM.

This ain't no show car! Bisch leaks earl...

Comment

Didn't realize they leaked this much?

The making of dog tags:

Comment

IIRC there is one in Galveston at the flight museum there that you can ride in.

Comment

It is insane when you think about how there were often over 1,000 of these things on single raids.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

everytime i see one of these i am just amazed..these are beasts and are down right effing awesome

Comment

What I find amazing is how cramped the inside is and how banged up you could get when in turbulence, combat or both.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                Supposedly this is one of the last in operation.
                There are 13 B-17s still flying in the US, one in England, and one in France.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I feel refreshed and educated having that tid bit of knowledge bestowed upon me. Thank you.

Comment

Well since it was obvious you didn't know what you were talking about, I figured I would help you out. You're welcome.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

The US needs to keep a modernized fleet of these bad boys so we can carpet bomb the shit out areas. I think we could bomb ISIS (or whatever they are called) back into the primordial ooze they crawled out of. Would also be cool as shit seeing them providing troop support like the ac-130s

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        Well since it was obvious you didn't know what you were talking about, I figured I would help you out. You're welcome.
                        You got ahead of yourself. That was already disclaimed by the "Supposedly..." remark made at the very beginning. Also, with only 13 remaining, it can still be said this is one of the last in operation. However, twelve of them are on treadmills...

Comment

I have never seen a radial engine that didn't leak. To me if they aint leaking they are out of oil.

B17 is my all time favorite plane.

Comment

The other thing I never thought about are all the hoses and such in front of the engine/behind the props which are completely exposed.

Comment

Fun rides. The girl got me a ride in FiFi last year. Equally as awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X