Abandon Fort Worth incinerator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandon Fort Worth incinerator.

I went out there and took a few pics. This place is freaking awesome. It's 4 stories tall with rof top access and is creepy as hell. The incinerator was built in 1952 to burn solid waste for the city of Ft Worth. During construction the EPA came out and said that you couldnt burn trash like that. They operated it for 2 years and then abandon it. It's built like a grain silo so it was going to cost too much to tear it down. If you want to go check it out Take Berry east off of I35W then turn right(south) on Yuma. You'll see a large metal gate that says "Closed for good". Drive through the gate, past the hill of pebbles and take a right toward the smoke stacks.
    I accidentally erased the pics I took but they sucked anyway. Here some pics someone else took that look awesome.
    Located about 3 miles south of downtown Fort Worth, this long-abandoned municipal incinerator near Echo Lake still stands, unused for perhaps over 40 years now. Detailed information on it's past is somewhat sketchy, but it seems the facility was built sometime in the 1950's and was in service for only a few years before changes in EPA regulations forced it's closure sometime in the 60's, as well as it's sister facility, just north of downtown. The sturdy brick & concrete construction has enabled the building to largely retain it's structural integrity over the past few decades, despite the abuse, disuse and neglect that comes naturally from abandonment. That said, there are a couple spots on the tar & gravel roof that have caved in, and I discovered an appreciable amount of standing water on other parts of it , after climbing the 25 foot interior ladder up to it, in the dark. In short, the roof is NOT a safe place to be... During the 80's & 90's the place evidently became a hotbed for drug activity, with many deals occuring on the premises. At some point during this period, a woman came there to make a purchase, and somehow managed to fall 40 feet to her death into the massive, 20-foot deep trash hoppers on the ground floor. Did she fall...did she jump...or was she pushed? As that story points out, this is a fairly dangerous place to go poking around, especially in the dark. For example, the 3rd floor has two large rectangular holes, each perhaps 4x6 feet, located in the middle of the walkway, leaving only a narrow one-foot strip of concrete between them and a low wall...all that protects you from duplicating the drug buyer's fall. The fall through the hole would certainly be preferable, perhaps even survivable, if you can manage to grab some of the furnace on your way down to slow your fall...perhaps only 15 to 20 feet. Anyway, the incinerator is a great spot for interior light-painting; lots of different surfaces, angles and large, open areas to give space & depth to your shots, when desired...just be careful on that 3rd floor! Night, full moon, 2 minute exposure. Large on Black

You cant see it in this picture but this is 3 stories up. Theres a crane setup that someone would crawl out to the oprators chair via a small cat walk and would operate a trash claw. The ledge on the right has a drop off about 60 feet down where trucks would dump their waste. The claw would then dump the trash in the hoppers you see.

Last edited by stephen4785; 08-31-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

A shame that much money went to waste. Looks like a nice structure though. Should claim it for a bug out location.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I have an incinerator in my basement with a chimney stack to the roof. I'm real tempted to use it, but it doesn't look like it's been used in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          A shame that much money went to waste. Looks like a nice structure though. Should claim it for a bug out location.
          that would be a decent bug out if you could fortify it with a good fence..

Awesome pics btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
            Except its in one the most populated areas in North America. There is no bugging out the DFW

Comment

Looks like a good place to get murdered.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                Except its in one the most populated areas in North America. There is no bugging out the DFW
                If you had a lot of people with a lot of guns/ammo it could be possible. Definitely not a good area though
                Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                  Looks like a good place to get murdered.
                  Shh! Don't give away my murdering hole! I sit and wait for the hiss of spray paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
                    I'm thinking those stacks would make awesome sniper hideouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                      If you had a lot of people with a lot of guns/ammo it could be possible.
                      If your a cannibal sure, otherwise no

Comment

EPA wasn't founded until 1970. If the thing was build in 1952, it ran for more than 2 years.
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

They should let Myth Busters blow that fucker up. Some well placed C4, BOOOOOOM

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            They should let Myth Busters blow that fucker up. Some well placed C4, BOOOOOOM
                            All of this!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              EPA wasn't founded until 1970. If the thing was build in 1952, it ran for more than 2 years.
                              Its what i regurgitated from the internets. I think the 1955 air pollution control act is what they're referring to and incorrectly assumed it was the EPA.

Comment

Working...
                              X