TIME Magazine - Hunting white wing doves in Texas 1961

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIME Magazine - Hunting white wing doves in Texas 1961

For millions of Americans, fall means one thing: hunting season. Sure, there are school openings and pumpkins to be carved and, for much of the nation, “leaf-peeping” trips and screens to be swapped out for storm windows and countless other signs, big and small, of the cooling months. But in states from Maine to Texas, Oregon to Florida, the end of summer and the beginning of autumn heralds that time of year when family and friends get together for some quality shooting.

More than fifty years ago, in October 1961, one hunt in particular caught the attention of LIFE magazine, and the weekly sent a photographer and correspondent to Texas’ lower Rio Grande Valley to document Texans and others from as far away as New York gunning for the white-winged dove. The resulting feature—titled, with a wry nod to Shelley, “Hail to Thee, Blithe Spirit: BLAM!” painted a picture of a pastime that seemed one part death wish and three parts rollicking, 20-gauge fun.

We’ll let LIFE set the scene:

There is nothing else in all outdoors quite like this hunt. . . . [The white-winged dove] is most plentiful in the southern tip of Texas . . . and for this reason virtually everyone in the Rio Grande region able to raise shotgun to shoulder—and many barely able to do even this—take up arms for the three-day season and moves out to put the blast on the gray birds with the blue-ringed eyes.

Correspondent David Nevin, who with photographer Ralph Crane (pictured) survived the hunt, gave this description of the firing line where the shooting was heaviest: “Except for occasional friends who worked together, everyone hunts without pattern. They fire guns in every direction, often over each other’s heads. In their excitement, some lunge about frantically, while others plunk away almost casually. Birds fall nearly shredded by shot from as many as four or five guns. . . . Crane and I went flat several times as gun barrels swung in our direction.”

[There are] incredibly few mishaps, though as Nevins noted, “Everyone, including us, was stung by spent shot that fell like rain.”

Here, LIFE.com offers a gallery of Crane’s photos—including many that never ran in LIFE—from that 1961 dove hunt in Texas.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Comment

I ran across a few of these photos and traced them back to this article. I thought you guys might find this as awesome as I did.

Comment

Damn, thats pretty cool!
          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
          sigpic

Comment

Think there's at least 6 guns in those pics with the Poly Choke/Cutts Compensator on them. Those things were very popular back then.

Comment

I am kind of surprised the kids weren't holding a cig too.

Everyone smoked back then.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I am kind of surprised the kids weren't holding a cig too.

Everyone smoked back then.
                lol exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Awesome and crazy. I've never seen them as thick as that 2nd picture.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I was waiting to see a 2014 article on how it's evil.
                    Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by elPolloLoco View Post
                      Think there's at least 6 guns in those pics with the Poly Choke/Cutts Compensator on them. Those things were very popular back then.
                      My dad has a old Sears bolt shotgun with a "polychoke" that he uses on various critters around his house. I used it on a few wasp nests last weekend.

That guy shooting off tge ladder is crazy.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post

Comment

lol man in a turkey shoot like that id want to be as close and horizontal to the ground as possible. that guy had some balls lol
                          http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            Possible he made a living with that ladder. Besides that looks like nothing more than a .410.

Comment

Did people really eat those nasty things ?

Rats with wings ..yuk

Comment

Working...
                              X