Pretty Cool Poncho Wagon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty Cool Poncho Wagon....

....But then, I got the wagon fever. Nothing wrong with a Nelson BBC, but could've been a notch cooler with Pontiac power.

Learn more about BaT Exclusive: 550hp 1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

This 1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari (chassis 362S9848) has been with the seller for five years, during which time it’s undergone transformation from dilapidated ex-cop car to 550 horse, 468 CI big block powered monster. The seller has provided a link to his own write-up here, and the car has also been the subject of a Car Craft article as well as a Big Muscle episode on Drive (video below). The car is described as pristine, very fast, and very difficult to get a race in—no one wants to be embarrassed by a wagon. It is now available in Carlsbad, California for $49k.

​Though we’re not normally fans of big wheels on older cars, the 18×8” Rocket Racing five spokes shown here work surprisingly well, especially as their gray centers contrast nicely with Pontiac Lime Light Green paint. Some trim has been deleted in pursuit of a cleaner look, and overall body work and paint seem to be of a high standard, the former done largely by Hot Rods & Custom Stuff in Escondido and the latter a professional job by Timeless Customs of Camarillo.

​Inside things look equally clean, with work done by Eric Thorsen Custom Upholstery. A floor-mounted B&M shifter connects to a built Turbo 400 trans fitted with a 2800 RPM stall torque converter, and apart from a wood-rimmed wheel and some under-dash auxiliary gauges the cabin appears to be largely stock. Being an ex-police car, it’s still fitted with a working siren, engaged by a switch mounted to the left of the steering column. Three point shoulder belts at all four corners are a nice safety upgrade.

​Mechanical highlights include a 468 CI Chevy built by Nelson Racing Engines and fitted with a custom ground cam, heavily ported heads, and an 850 CFM Holley said to be good for roughly 550 HP and a broadly equivalent torque figure. Power is sent rearwards through the aforementioned trans to a Currie built 9” Ford rear end with 3.70:1 gears and factory Pontiac four link setup. Brakes are unassisted discs, and suspension is stock apart from lower springs, though the car is said to handle surprisingly well—much of which may be due to 245/40 and 275/45 rear Toyos.

​Says the seller: “Want to blend in, sip coffee, and BS with like-minded people about which catalog you bought your OEM bumpers in? Want to pull into a car show and line up with 14 other cars of the same make and model to be part of the group? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this is not the car for you.”
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Needs more turbo

Comment

Would drive!

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
        Would drive!
        x2

Comment

Fuck. Yes. I wanna have a badass wagon one day
          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
            ....But then, I got the wagon fever.
            x2...been thinking about adding a '55 project to park next to the V
            Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
            I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

Cool yes but not $49K cool.

Comment

love it

Comment

That is a cool wagon.

After we did the Power Tour in 2012, I begged my wife to let me strip the Cobra and build an old wagon. She vetoed.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Very nice. I'm afraid I must deduct 5 points for no roof rack.

Comment

Wish it had a Pontiac motor in it!

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                        Wish it had a Pontiac motor in it!
                        X2
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          That is a cool wagon.

After we did the Power Tour in 2012, I begged my wife to let me strip the Cobra and build an old wagon. She vetoed.
                          Why do most women hate station wagons so much? My old lady is a car girl but hates them with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                            Cool yes but not $49K cool.
                            Yeah, not worth that.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                              Why do most women hate station wagons so much? My old lady is a car girl but hates them with passion.
                              I don't know, but I bought my hen a Navigator and she said I had finally succeeded in putting her in a loaded out station wagon...
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X