earning their pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
    I would've shit my pants at the 10:20 mark...
    I bet it felt like space travel for about 5-10 seconds in there.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
      http://www.b737.org.uk/vspeeds.htm#Take-Off_Speeds_

Those charts are in KIAS. A Knot (nautical mile per hour)is 1.15 or .15% greater of MPH. Most all aircraft use KIAS as a standard.

Errrrr, GS is king in landing and take off. Most transport category aircraft have around a 10knot max limit on tail wind for take off and landing. We can not exceed the max demonstrated crosswind limit or tailwind limit. Ground speed is the reason we takeoff and land INTO the wind, in order to slow our groundspeed down. Slower = safer, more control, less runway needed.

Example, the 777 has a GS indicator on the #1PFD. I have seen 100mph gs on the PFD and 150KIAS on the AS indicator. That is a 50 knot headwind. At AA we suspend all ops at a max of 50 knots wind period.
      Man, I seriously got my information from the wrong person...

Comment

Lotta puke bags getting filled in there. Thats gotta feel pretty crazy in there

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
          In the video, one of the planes got both rear wheels down, said "NOPE", and took off again. What factor(s) are involved to make a pilot make that decision? How much of a window do you really have to make that call?
          In the 80' and most transport aircraft, we have auto brakes. Logic tree will trigger them, WOW(weight on wheels), Thrust lever idle, Radar altimeter below 7'. Then we have 3 settings, low,medium, max. I have landed in Monterrey Mex. ... as I was rolling out, still above 100kias, I saw people on the runway...Call "go around" go to TOGA power, depress the GA buttons......we are gone....Power above idle....disengages brakes and ground spoilers, just for this reason.

So the window for GA is huge, I would say it depends on runway remaining. Also not to get too technical, all runways are legal for SE GA(single engine go around) These runways have to meet criteria for runway limited landing weight. Once the jet meets this criteria, even single engine we can go around.
          All 121 aircraft are certified for this, guaranteed performance.

Comment

Yeah, fuck BHX. I'd rather land at MAN, LGW, or LHR and drive to Birmingham. Or just not go to Birmingham at all.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

In the 80' and most transport aircraft, we have auto brakes. Logic tree will trigger them, WOW(weight on wheels), Thrust lever idle, Radar altimeter below 7'. Then we have 3 settings, low,medium, max. I have landed in Monterrey Mex. ... as I was rolling out, still above 100kias, I saw people on the runway...Call "go around" go to TOGA power, depress the GA buttons......we are gone....Power above idle....disengages brakes and ground spoilers, just for this reason.

So the window for GA is huge, I would say it depends on runway remaining. Also not to get too technical, all runways are legal for SE GA(single engine go around) These runways have to meet criteria for runway limited landing weight. Once the jet meets this criteria, even single engine we can go around.
              All 121 aircraft are certified for this, guaranteed performance.
              That's awesome input. Can you now ELI5? (Explain like I'm five.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                That's awesome input. Can you now ELI5? (Explain like I'm five.)
                Do you have a few years........

Comment

do you have a few years........
                  lol!!!!
                  Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                    Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. Ground speed makes no difference, it's all about airspeed and how quickly the air is moving over the wings.
                    Which is why I am saying they looked to be going painfully slow when landing.

Comment

Its a big object

Comment

Who is controlling steering when nose comes down (direction of ft wheels)? Is there a bunch of negative caster to help center plane up on landing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
                          Who is controlling steering when nose comes down (direction of ft wheels)? Is there a bunch of negative caster to help center plane up on landing? Inquiring minds want to know.
                          Steering is disabled while in the air, for obvious reasons. On the Capt(left) side there is a "tiller" for steering. Once the nose gear squat switch (AC on the ground)is depressed, the steering becomes active. Until then it "free casters" There are steering centering devices to not allow the the nose gear to wander. Most pilots do not jump on the tiller immediately after touch-down. The rudder is much more effective in controlling the direction of the 100,000 lb aircraft than a few pieces of small rubber.

So to answer your question......no one. It free casters until the tiller is depressed and active. That comes at different speeds from different pilots(technique), but usually somewhere around the 100kias mark.

Comment

Working...
                          X