Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• earning their pay

Jes a lil windy

Some landing and take-off highlights in awkward wind conditions at BHX this winter (a record winter for stormy conditions in the UK). Note the frequent flexi...
    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

a lot of pucker factor in those clips.

Comment

Some of those planes looked to be doing 40mph when landing.

Comment

I would be an absolute sheet white mess if I were a passenger on one of those planes.

Comment

no thank you

Comment

You almost take for granted the tripod used when filming; imagine hearing someone yelling "Worldstar!" in the background, and how crazy that filming would be... lol
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Fuck! That runway looked like a motocross track.

Comment

That is what you call earning your money days.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                  Some of those planes looked to be doing 40mph when landing.
                  An average weight 737 lifts off from anywhere between 155 - 178 mph. If they were going 40 mph, there would have to be 100+ mph headwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                    An average weight 737 lifts off from anywhere between 155 - 178 mph. If they were going 40 mph, there would have to be 100+ mph headwind.
                    Cool, but what about landing?
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                      Cool, but what about landing?
                      Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. Ground speed makes no difference, it's all about airspeed and how quickly the air is moving over the wings.

Comment

Technical website for Boeing 737 pilots and engineers. Site includes news, system and operating notes, technical photographs, databases and related links.

Those charts are in KIAS. A Knot (nautical mile per hour)is 1.15 or .15% greater of MPH. Most all aircraft use KIAS as a standard.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. Ground speed makes no difference, it's all about airspeed and how quickly the air is moving over the wings.

Errrrr, GS is king in landing and take off. Most transport category aircraft have around a 10knot max limit on tail wind for take off and landing. We can not exceed the max demonstrated crosswind limit or tailwind limit. Ground speed is the reason we takeoff and land INTO the wind, in order to slow our groundspeed down. Slower = safer, more control, less runway needed.

Example, the 777 has a GS indicator on the #1PFD. I have seen 100mph gs on the PFD and 150KIAS on the AS indicator. That is a 50 knot headwind. At AA we suspend all ops at a max of 50 knots wind period.
                        Last edited by likeitfast55; 04-04-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

In the video, one of the planes got both rear wheels down, said "NOPE", and took off again. What factor(s) are involved to make a pilot make that decision? How much of a window do you really have to make that call?

Comment

I believe if you pointed those planes upwind and put them on a treadmill they'd take off.

Comment

I would've shit my pants at the 10:20 mark...

Comment

Working...
                              X