GM not doing itself any favors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM not doing itself any favors.

The Daily Show scorches GM on its latest recall. Ouch. Video in the link.

The GM recall has been, and this is putting it lightly, a shit show. And like any good/bad shit show, Jon Stewart and The Daily Show are on top of it. And they aren't being kind.

The GM recall has been, and this is putting it lightly, a shit show. And like any good/bad shit show, Jon Stewart and The Daily Show are on top of it. And they aren't being kind.

A lot of the facts behind the GM recall are scary, especially because they've known about the issue for nearly 15 years and failed to issue a formal recall in that time period, instead telling drivers not to use a heavy key chain and a service bulletin that didn't act as a true recall.

Oh good, I was hoping we could talk about the ~15 drivers that were killed because the car would switch from "run" to "acc" while driving.

This is a witch hunt, its doing the same thing as running out of gas, or many other issues that should be somewhat expected of driving a car.

Raise your hand if you've been in or were driving a car that died, and then raise your hand if you were killed when that happened.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      A lot of the facts behind the GM recall are scary, especially because they've known about the issue for nearly 15 years and failed to issue a formal recall in that time period, instead telling drivers not to use a heavy key chain and a service bulletin that didn't act as a true recall.
      Fuck GM. Aside from the new Vette they have nothing that I would buy.

And LMFAO at heavy key chains as being the problem, just so they don't have to replace a cheap ass part. The one girl that died, her said parents said it happened more once and they took it straight to the dealer (GM) and they said the injectors needed to be cleaned?!
      First off, dirty injectors are not going to cause the car to lose electrical power and shut off and that probably wasn't covered by the warranty and they had to pay it and then their daughter gets killed, this is beyond fucked up.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        Oh good, I was hoping we could talk about the ~15 drivers that were killed because the car would switch from "run" to "acc" while driving.

This is a witch hunt, its doing the same thing as running out of gas, or many other issues that should be somewhat expected of driving a car.

Raise your hand if you've been in or were driving a car that died, and then raise your hand if you were killed when that happened.

There are so many variables to when and where and what situation a car can die in that dismissing it like that as not being dangerous is a bit silly. If you're on the freeway in S Cal going through a curve at 70 with traffic around you, and the car just shuts off chances are you're going to be in deep shit.

Comment

There are so many variables to when and where and what situation a car can die in that dismissing it like that as not being dangerous is a bit silly. If you're on the freeway in S Cal going through a curve at 70 with traffic around you, and the car just shuts off chances are you're going to be in deep shit.
          No shit, he usually seems pretty level headed when hes not snitching someone out, but to think that not all people are car savvy and this happens they over react. Same thing with Toyota saying the floor matts were making the car go WOT, I guess that was a witch hunt too.
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

What???? What did those drivers do...jump out of the car while rolling down 161? I guess I haven't read about this issue but if that's what's happening, i.e. the car turning off while driving, I agree with what you're saying. It's still going to roll, steer and brake. A recall is not going to fix a lack of common sense.

Comment

There were over 34 thousand deaths in 2012, and we are talking about 13 over the last 15 years.

Im not dissmissing it as not being dangerous, I'm saying that a car stopping running isnt the end of the world, for a driver that is level headed.

13 in 15 years, out of over half a million.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                No shit, he usually seems pretty level headed when hes not snitching someone out, but to think that not all people are car savvy and this happens they over react. Same thing with Toyota saying the floor matts were making the car go WOT, I guess that was a witch hunt too.
                H, if you have a problem with me come out and say it. The childish backhanded bullshit is old.

Comment

H, if you have a problem with me come out and say it. The childish backhanded bullshit is old.
                  No problems that I can think of, hometown.

So lets say I leave out the dig, my statement still stands. You can't possibly think that GM isn't responsible for those 15 people dying because they didn't want to change a $1.00 part, too fucking bad if they have to recall millions of cars, that's the way it is, same with Toyota and the floor mat fiasco.

Comment

This is a witch hunt,
                    Agreed 100%. It's the Firestone tread bullshit all over again.

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    What???? What did those drivers do...jump out of the car while rolling down 161? I guess I haven't read about this issue but if that's what's happening, i.e. the car turning off while driving, I agree with what you're saying. It's still going to roll, steer and brake. A recall is not going to fix a lack of common sense.
                    I think there have been six fatalities. There was a special on two of them that I recently watched. A teenage girl and her friend were killed after her car vered off the highway, went across either the on coming lanes or another road, then over that road into trees. The car was demolished. They were going on how the key was found in the "acc" position so they believe the ignition was to blame for them being killed. The one issue they barely touched on was neither of the girls were wearing their seatbelts, but then interrupted that sentence to say OMG THE AIRBAGS DIDN'T DEPLOY. Fucking ignorance. One other instance I heard was a driver off-roading and alcohol was involved.

Comment

Shit I've turned my car off on purpose while cruising down the road to hear noises covered by the exhaust, nothing scary about it.

Unless you're in a newer pos car with shitty electronic steering. We have a 2014 frontier at work with electric steering, my only experience with electric steering, and it sucks out loud. There is zero feel for the road, hard as hell to track straight and there is no instant center. It's like a video game.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Hey at least my truck won't catch on fire anymore.
                        Originally posted by talisman
                        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                        Originally posted by AdamLX
                        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        Because fuck you, that's why
                        Originally posted by 80coupe
                        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                        Originally posted by Rick Modena
                        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                        Originally posted by Jester
                        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          No problems that I can think of, hometown.

So lets say I leave out the dig, my statement still stands. You can't possibly think that GM isn't responsible for those 15 people dying because they didn't want to change a $1.00 part, too fucking bad if they have to recall millions of cars, that's the way it is, same with Toyota and the floor mat fiasco.
                          Right on.
                          The 2004 model year Ford Mustang Cobra was recalled by Ford for accelerator pedals that failed to return to idle after being fully pressed.

Scary. Not newsworthy, apparently.

Read this article on the toyota deal.

Oh, and the instructions offered to drivers that experience unintended acceleration was to switch the key from "run" to "acc" and pull over. Deadly.

Comment

I kinda agree, but I also disagree. You should expect it when you run out of gas. You should somewhat expect it if there are other indications the car isn't running right (shaking, sputtering, etc.). Otherwise, you should expect your car to run until you turn it off. It isn't hard to imagine scenarios where suddenly and unexpectedly losing power could be dangerous - turning into oncoming traffic, merging onto the highway, and such.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              Agreed 100%. It's the Firestone tread bullshit all over again.

I think there have been six fatalities. There was a special on two of them that I recently watched. A teenage girl and her friend were killed after her car vered off the highway, went across either the on coming lanes or another road, then over that road into trees. The car was demolished. They were going on how the key was found in the "acc" position so they believe the ignition was to blame for them being killed. The one issue they barely touched on was neither of the girls were wearing their seatbelts, but then interrupted that sentence to say OMG THE AIRBAGS DIDN'T DEPLOY. Fucking ignorance. One other instance I heard was a driver off-roading and alcohol was involved.
                              Probably the same dumbasses that get pissed when the airbags don't deploy from a rear end collision, yeah let's just slam your face into a 200mph exploding bag.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Working...
                              X