Why Engagement Rings Are a Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
    Diamond Nexus labs, they are more money now but still cheap. I have had their product fool Jewelers and they make a great product at a fraction of the cost. Fuck buying real diamonds, I refuse to. If she doesn't like it then oh well.
    This here. I will be glad when the manufactured diamonds put an end to the stupid shit that revolves around diamonds.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I have never even spent that much on a fucking car. God damned retarded. Seen people sell all their shit to buy a ring and be divorced 3 years later. Blows my mind. Buy a fucking house!

Comment

27k on a fucking RING?!?!?!?!? Holy FUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
          27k on a fucking RING?!?!?!?!? Holy FUCK.
          His 2 months salary > yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            His 2 months salary > yours.
            It was way more than two months. Although it will probably pay off for him as his new wife's dad is way up the food chain at a soft drink company. The in laws have a Highland Park house and a vacation house out in Palm Springs. She is a pretty girl too and just a great all around person. I still told him he is fucking crazy.
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              It was way more than two months. Although it will probably pay off for him as his new wife's dad is way up the food chain at a soft drink company. The in laws have a Highland Park house and a vacation house out in Palm Springs. She is a pretty girl too and just a great all around person. I still told him he is fucking crazy.
              And he'll still get tired of her bullshit at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                And he'll still get tired of her bullshit at some point.
                Here here.

$27k isn't that bad really, I know a dude who financed(tard) a ring a little more than that. I'm almost positive he makes less than $50k. She was kind of a catch for him.

I also know a girl who wanted a ring her future husband refused to buy. She said screw it I'll pay the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                  You guys should just keep the 6 bichon frises Ben has, you'll be the perfect couple.
                  This is too funny....

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                    Here here.

$27k isn't that bad really, I know a dude who financed(tard) a ring a little more than that. I'm almost positive he makes less than $50k. She was kind of a catch for him.

I also know a girl who wanted a ring her future husband refused to buy. She said screw it I'll pay the difference.
                    Fuck that!!
                    2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                      Here here.

And then she left him and he's out 50k
                      Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                      It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Fuck that shit. I was looking at rings and some of the prices were crazy. I was like where's the under $1000 one's at? But I did see some that were in the 3k range that weren't your traditional rings that I probably wouldn't mind paying for.
                        Originally posted by talisman
                        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                        Originally posted by AdamLX
                        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        Because fuck you, that's why
                        Originally posted by 80coupe
                        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                        Originally posted by Rick Modena
                        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                        Originally posted by Jester
                        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Long post, but I have been helping men not get screwed by the engagement ring process as a hobby for at least the last 10+ years, so I'm a little passionate about disseminating correct and incorrect information. There is a ton of repetitive misinformation that this video continues to proliferate, and in such an emotion driven process, it doesn't focus quite enough on verifiable current facts to be a legitimate source.

Though some of what this video suggests is correct (or was correct in the very late '90's), I have a problem with a few aspects of it (other than the fact that it basically claims that no diamond engagement rings existed before 1938). I have bought/sold loads of antique diamonds cut long before 1938 that had limited/minimal wear and tear or abrasions on them despite their age.

1) Yes, diamonds (as a material) are plentiful, but gem-quality diamonds are not as plentiful as the video suggests. DeBeers hasn't had a controlling interest in the monopoly of the diamond trade in at least a decade, and today, their share is less than 40% when compared to other mining companies like Rio Tinto, Alrosa, Harry Winston, etc.

2) The bigger problem here (that isn't even mentioned, but is the real "scam", IMO) is the Rappaport report, by which all diamond pricing is based. Even man-made diamonds (the real chemically/structurally identical lab-created material created by companies like Apollo, D. Nea, etc.) pricing is based upon this Rappaport pricing report. If you're able to buy a > 1 ct. "man made diamond" for pennies on the $, you're buying a *simulant*, not a *synthetic* diamond. The very first >1 ct. man made colorless diamond was just created by D. Nea a little over 11 months ago. The price was astronomically high, because of the decades of R&D into HPHT (high-pressure, high-temperature) and CVT (chemical vapor deposition) methodologies that finally yielded that result. It's not entirely common to be able to grow MMD's to that size yet, and those larger diamonds still carry a huge premium.

3) Diamonds aren't intrinsically *worthless*. They have a ton of value in industrial and optical applications. Not $4k/ct. value, but they have their place. Not to mention, they are the hardest, most resilient natural mineral, so they make sense as a centerpiece for a piece of jewelry that is meant to be worn for decades. I collect antique jewelry and am consistently surprised at the excellent shape and minimal wear at facet junctures that most 100+ year old diamonds exhibit. Pretty cool to think that my great-grandmother's engagement ring still looks brand new at 101 yeas old.

4) Assuming that the engagement process is still mostly one-sided. It's not seen as much as one anymore, and if it is, it's on men to be communicating a new trend that's taken off across a lot of couples that are equally employed. I bought my husband a car as an engagement gift. Friends of mine have surprised their husbands with Harleys, TVs, watches, expensive musical instruments, guitars, etc.

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                          Diamond Nexus labs, they are more money now but still cheap. I have had their product fool Jewelers and they make a great product at a fraction of the cost. Fuck buying real diamonds, I refuse to. If she doesn't like it then oh well.
                          This here. I will be glad when the manufactured diamonds put an end to the stupid shit that revolves around diamonds.
                          Diamond Nexus Labs is not selling chemically/structurally identical man-made diamonds. They sell *simulants* which is not to be confused with *synthetic diamond*. It's nothing more than very, very overpriced Signity CZ. It's not even very well cut CZ. I just went to look up pricing for a 7.5mm center stone in a "diamond" setting. $999.

Just buy a 7mm Ideal cut CZ for $3.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-mm-Round-1...item589b15888e

And set it in this setting for $269 (making sure you tell the Ebay vendor the center stone is 7mm): http://www.ebay.com/itm/5mm-Round-So...item3a8417982e

If you're interested in Man Made Diamonds that are structurally/chemically identical to mined diamond, take a look here: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/labo...-diamonds-mmd/
                          Last edited by DasVWBabe; 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM.
                          2007 997 Targa 4S - Guards Red
                          2006 Subaru STI - WRBlue
                          2008 VW R32 - Candy White

Comment

good post.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sounds like a solid investment.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Good info and thanks for the link DAS, but besides an industrial use situation I won't waste my money on an overpriced rock. The bond is made in the commitment of the object and the satisfaction of the receiving party, not the dollars wasted on it. It should make the other person happy for the thought and the thought alone. I guess I grew up too broke to understand rich peoples trinkets.

Comment

Working...
                                X