WW2 Sea Mine detonated in the Netherlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Sea Mine detonated in the Netherlands

This fucker was just out there floating around for around 70 years. Damn. For just the explosion, skip to 5:15.

There's a famous scene from the movie Hot Fuzz where the characters fear that an old sea mine will detonate, so they run about 20 feet and jump over a low wall. Lucky for them, it doesn't explode, but after seeing this World War II sea mine explode on the beaches of Katwijk Aan Zee, Netherlands, I think they'd be very, very dead.

Construction workers found the mine lying on the beach, according to nieuws.nl, and used the bucket of an excavator to move the giant goddamn bomb right along. Because Dutch excavator drivers are braver than you.

The local bomb squad decided to detonate the mine right there on the beach rather than take the risk of attempting to defuse it.

Next time you see an old bomb from World War II, run. Run like hell. And run further than 20 feet.

There's a famous scene from the movie Hot Fuzz where the characters fear that an old sea mine will detonate, so they run about 20 feet and jump over a low wall. Lucky for them, it doesn't explode, but after seeing this World War II sea mine explode on the beaches of Katwijk Aan Zee, Netherlands, I think they'd be…

lol, wow. That was much bigger than I thought it would be.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      lol, wow. That was much bigger than I thought it would be.

That's what she said!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah those mines drop from destroyers in a giant steel box, hit the ground, and then the tether is released and they float up to their preset height. I would guess the tether rusted off and it floated up. Mines that float are almost always live.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The guy running the excavator .. brave or dumb ?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
            I would say dumb. It's meant to blow schoolbus sized holes in 4" thick battleship hulls. An excavator would be vaporized.

Comment

That was awesome and the excavator operator is padded room crazy.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                That was awesome and the excavator operator is padded room crazy.

Exactly
                I would have blown it up where it laid. Or pray the tide took it back out to somewhere else haha.

Comment

Real balls of steel! Some of those mines were not only contact but also magnetic detonated... Guess they figured since it washed ashore, the contact portion was probably corroded enough to prevent detonation...
                  Last edited by 68RR; 02-01-2014, 12:57 PM.
                  Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Wanted to see crater...

Comment

In related news....

A digger driver is killed in a blast at a construction site in Germany after he accidentally struck a World War Two bomb, police say.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I was always edgy in the Persian Gulf about running across an Iranian mine that had somehow gotten missed.

Holy shit, that was a big boom!
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Battle ship hulls are way thicker then 4".....the Missouri has 12" thick belts, the Tirpitz had 13" and the King Gorge V had up to 15" of armor. The decks on those ships was still way thicker then 4".

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

Damn.

Comment

I don't know how they would have to pay me to drive that thing with the mine in the scoop.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X