Flashback - Kuwaiti Oilfield on Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback - Kuwaiti Oilfield on Fire

Pics from the Greater Burgan Oil Field (approx 1,000 wells) - Iraqis set fire to 550 and damaged another 250 with explosives.

In the US most wells are need some sort of lift system (eg. pumpjack) to get the oil out of the ground, but in Kuwait the formation has enough pressure to naturally produce, which meant the fires would just continue to burn. It was estimated that up to 6,000,000 bbls/day ($120MM/day in 1991 dollars) were burning off.

As seen from space.

At the time it was thought that it would take between two and five years and $1 billion to extinguish and control all of them... but in came Red Adair Company, Boots and Coots, and Wild Well Control. Before this ever happened Red Adair had handled over 2,000 well fires, and had even been portrayed by John Wayne in film (Hellfighters)

So after each well was de-mined (yes, there were landmines around some of the wells also) they could start planning how to attack.

Each well they needed up to 15 people and 10,000 - 15,000 gallons of water per minute... at sites that were miles from anything. They ended up reversing the flow of the lines that used to carry oil to the ports and started using them to pump seawater back inland to the well sites.

Making a plan

Water lines. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didnt do shit for extinguishing a fire.

So there are a couple ways of going about it. They could use a "stinger" Basically they would try to reverse the flow by pumping a metric shitload of drilling mud back into the hole.

Or if that didn't work, like blowing out a candle on a cake, they could use explosives for the blast and to remove a bunch of oxygen from the air.

Last edited by Strychnine; 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM.

If blowing the fire out damaged the pipe then they had to remove the damaged parts before continuing. That meant cutting the old one off... without making a spark. Sometimes by hand:

Or in some cases with a water jet:

Just a few minutes after a fire was put out. They had this one capped two hours later.

Finally under control

8 months later they were all capped and under control again.
    There's an Imax movie out there called "Fires of Kuwait" and in there they also show a tank that had two jet engines fitted on it to try to blow out well fires.

FF to 5:15 and 7:19 to see the explosive method

Last edited by Strychnine; 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I remember that on the news when I was a kid, live.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Red Adair didn't get a BMF wallet. He was in charge of determining who was worthy of one.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

my pops worked with him back in the 80's. the headquarters was right down north houston rosslyn rd. from where we lived.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Fuck Kuwait.

Comment

Cool pictures. I remember seeing it on the news but nothing close to that detailed.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

good share!

Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

I bet they used a shitload of papertowels.

Comment

The price we pay to control oil. But still glad we went in there back in the day. All we watched when it was live on TV. I was a senior in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      There's an Imax movie out there called "Fires of Kuwait" and in there they also show a tank that had two jet engines fitted on it to try to blow out well fires.

Big Wind:

Here's a link to a Car and Driver story on Big Wind.

Russian T34 tank with two Mig 21 engines.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                        Big Wind

Pretty brilliant

Comment

I learn sooo much from your posts.
                          Thank you for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                            I learn sooo much from your posts.
                            Thank you for sharing
                            Who needs wikipedia when you have this site.

Comment

You've done it again. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X