No announcement yet.

The Salton Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't Michigan have something similar?

Comment

Its called Detroit....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
        Its called Detroit....
        Hey-oh!
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

After watching a documentary about the Salton Sea on one of the cable networks, I spent a few hours on youtube jumping from one video to the next.

The shit about Slab City is intriguing and disturbing at the same time.

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

The craziest part about it is the actual creation. The breach started just a 600 feet wide and by the time it was plugged it was 10 miles wide.

In the two years that the river was (unintentionally) being diverting here Southern Pacific had to actually move its rail lines a few times because the water kept taking them out - so after a couple failed govt attempts the railroad eventually stepped up and were the major player in actually stopping the river.

They built a rail trestle over the break in the dikes and brought in train after train after train, (literally all rail traffic in and out of LA was stopped for two weeks to accommodate this) parked them on the trestle and started dumping thousands of carloads of rock and gravel into the breach.

Two other random facts:

The crew of the Enola Gay used the Salton Sea as a target on a few practice runs so if/when it ever dries up some treasure hunters could find some dummy Little Boys out there.

There was even a "Salton Sea 500" powerboat endurance race there once.

Comment

That's some wild shit. Can't believe how many people still live in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                The craziest part about it is the actual creation. The breach started just a 600 feet wide and by the time it was plugged it was 10 miles wide.

In the two years that the river was (unintentionally) being diverting here Southern Pacific had to actually move its rail lines a few times because the water kept taking them out - so after a couple failed govt attempts the railroad eventually stepped up and were the major player in actually stopping the river.

They built a rail trestle over the break in the dikes and brought in train after train after train, (literally all rail traffic in and out of LA was stopped for two weeks to accommodate this) parked them on the trestle and started dumping thousands of carloads of rock and gravel into the breach.

I see, so what you're saying is the government couldn't fix the problem so a private company had to step in and do it?

Overall the whole thing is pretty damn cool. I always found this error/miracle fascinating.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  That's some wild shit. Can't believe how many people still live in the area.
                  Considering the oppressiveness of the government of California, I'm surprised at how the squatters are allowed to live on the federal land unregulated.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                    After watching a documentary about the Salton Sea on one of the cable networks, I spent a few hours on youtube jumping from one video to the next.

The shit about Slab City is intriguing and disturbing at the same time.

Stevo
                    Yeah, I find that whole thing about Slab City intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      I see, so what you're saying is the government couldn't fix the problem so a private company had to step in and do it?
                      That's crazy talk. The government can fix anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        Not only is Lake Tahoe inhabitable, it's the clearest (and coldest, mind you) water that I've ever been in!
                        Try Arrowhead.

David

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                          I remember going near there when I rode with a friend delivering aircraft parts to So Cal. I told him I wanted to go there one day. He said don't bother, it stinks like dead fish.
                          So is that what meth labs smell like or was it the actual dead fish? Shit, if it was 77 that was likely a long time before it was all meth'd out.
                          US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Great, something else I knew nothing about and will spend time reading about it.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I've spent time in the area around it, but never actually made it to the shore or anything. It's a cool area for offroading / dirtbikes (Glamis is a big recreation area). This is from the last time we were out there:

Out on a ride with a big group, we stopped for a break at an oasis. Leah's son and I were on bikes, Leah was on a quad, and my son and Leah's daughter were in side by sides:

Aly getting strapped in:

Leah's son:

Although you can't see it in this pic, this was a break we took next to a cave. The route we took to the cave spent some time on soft sand (through a wash) and Leah's son was having some difficulty riding the bike on soft sand so she was giving him some pointers:

Comment

Working...
                              X