Museum find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum find

One of the best parts of my job is being able to get hands on with so much of the world's history. Usually it's just the simple task of handling the art or artifacts from place to place.

One of our largest corporate clients has an extensive collection of both art and antiquities. This particular corporation has a number of small museums in regional headquarters across the country. I was packing the contents of a one of those museums a few months ago outside of San Francisco.

In the collection was a roll top desk that had seen a few years. It was first put into service in 1876, and was used in downtown San Francisco until 1901 before going into storage. 5 years later, it would survive the 1906 earthquake and fire. 137 years of history ran past it. They had no place in storage for it and were afraid it would just have to be discarded. I offered to bring the desk home and give it a life. They accepted.

So, here's my latest project.

It is missing the left side handle for the roll top. The canvas holding the slide needs to be reinforced. There are a few drawers that need some tightening. But most of all, it needs some oil. I'm not looking to alter the patina, just bring some life back into the wood. She's beautiful, and definitely worth saving. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in my study in April.

Badass dude! I had one very similar that belonged to my parents, but parted ways with it a few years ago. It wasn't even vaguely close to that vintage though.

Comment

That is awesome. I love old furniture, especially with the worn look. That should clean up nicely.

Comment

That's is so cool, you will never find anything made like that these days.

Comment

I'm keeping my eyes open for some MCM for you Eric. In this case, they were also making up for an earlier loss. Their location in Houston closed and the building was demolished. In the building was a 60's era drafting table that I coveted. Unfortunately, I had no room to take it, and they had no room to keep it. It came down with the building. This was their way of making up for it.

I think a little oil, routing out the new handle to match, and the few minor repairs and it'll have another 100 years. She's going to compliment my 1886 E. Ingraham ionic calendar clock nicely.

Comment

Almost the same style as the roll top I have from my grandparents which they got for free after WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
              I'm keeping my eyes open for some MCM for you Eric. In this case, they were also making up for an earlier loss. Their location in Houston closed and the building was demolished. In the building was a 60's era drafting table that I coveted. Unfortunately, I had no room to take it, and they had no room to keep it. It came down with the building. This was their way of making up for it.

I think a little oil, routing out the new handle to match, and the few minor repairs and it'll have another 100 years. She's going to compliment my 1886 E. Ingraham ionic calendar clock nicely.
              Need a co-driver?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Need a co-driver?
                You should seriously consider checking us out. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the driving though.

Comment

Working...
                X