Crazy thing to stumble across....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy thing to stumble across....

A little back story will hopefully make this make a little more sense. Me and another co worker have been in San Francisco all week doing an aircraft repair. I can usually get the flights scheduled to where I am leaving not too long after I get through with the job so I can get my ass home asap. Well this particular time whether it was because the flights are close to the holidays or because it was scheduled last minute (which is SOP for my job) I was finished with the job on Wednesday and my flight out was not until after 7pm Thursday. So me and my co worker after being kicked out of the hotel at noon were just killing time driving around. We had gone and seen the bay the day before after we got off work and walked down on the piers and got all the good tourist type photos of alcatraz and the golden gate bridge blah blah blah. So we were literally just driving around the area and I spotted this heavily manicured lawn with a nice looking building on it. It resembled a house but I knew that it wasn't. I didn't think much of it and another block later I see another and at that point I could see out behind it. What I saw sparked my interest immediately and I had my co worker make a u turn and take me back. What I had seen was a very ornate and old looking cemetery. What I didn't know was how odd and foreign to me this would turn out to be. If you want to call me a weirdo then so be it but I enjoy walking through cemeteries, looking at grave stones, reading them, and just taking it all in. So this place had me antsy and ready to do some looking around. After we parked and started walking up I noticed that this was not an ordinary cemetery. It seemed to be full of only Jewish people and OLD. Most of the place had birth dates on the head stones that were in the 1800's. You can see in the pictures why I assumed this. Also it was apparent that there is some MAJOR money tied up in this place. I am sure the lots are pricy but some of the stones / mausoleums were incredible. These families dropped some coin to say the least. So me and my co worker made all the rounds and when we were about to leave we were approached by a grounds keeper on a motorized cart. He was very polite and asked if we had found everything we were looking for. I explained that we were from out of town, had seen the place from the road, and were just looking around. I was very respectful as this is the way he engaged us and I wanted to make it clear that if he thought we were up to no good that was not the case. I didn't get the vibe that he thought that but I just wanted to be sure that he knew anyways. So after our brief conversation he then said "well I guess you do not know about our most famous guest here" I had a feeling that there was someone famous here just because of the sheer amount of money that was here but I had no clue. I told him no and he then proceeds to show us where Wyatt Earp is buried. Yes, you read that correctly. He also shows us where Levi Strauss is buried (the blue jeans guy) if you cant figure that out. It was pretty cool to say the least and the last place I would figure Wyatt Earp was buried. I dont know much about him besides that Kevin Costner movie. Anyways here are the pics and look for commentary on some of the pics as well.

This was a little bit newer section and just about everyone's stone had their picture on it..

Walking up the hill there was an area that was really nicer than the rest here is some of it...

This was the mausoleum that was the center piece and come to find out it belongs to the heirs of Levi Strauss. The grounds keeper said it is placed on an area that was going to be able to bury 200 people on and the structures alone were 5 million.

Front doors

Turned around and took this shot..
    Last edited by inline 6; 12-20-2013, 04:31 AM.

Comment

The inside...

The old man himself....

Hard to tell but the bottom is him.

Comment

Just some more randoms...

On the way back to the car I figured out what the buildings were for that looked like houses but not quite...

Comment

Man that was hard to read

Comment

Amazing blue sky.
            Way too much money spent on being dead.

Comment

Beaversmith rivers, weirdest name I've seen at a cemetary. Cool pictures

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                I dont know much about him besides that Kevin Costner movie.
                You watched the wrong movie.

Hard to tell but the bottom is him.
                Here's a morbid fact- Sometimes the discoloration you see in the corners and bottoms of crypts is bodily fluid discharge from decomp.

Comment

Really cool stuff man. I like walking through a cemetery here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                    Amazing blue sky.
                    Way too much money spent on being dead.
                    Reminds me of this
                    WALTER
                    What's this?

DONNELLY
                    That is for the urn.

WALTER
                    Don't need it. We're scattering the
                    ashes.

DONNELLY
                    Yes, so we were informed. However,
                    we must of course transmit the remains
                    to you in a receptacle.

WALTER
                    This is a hundred and eighty dollars.

DONNELLY
                    Yes sir. It is our most modestly
                    priced receptacle.

DUDE
                    Well can we--

WALTER
                    A hundred and eighty dollars?!

DONNELLY
                    They range up to three thousand.

WALTER
                    Yeah, but we're--

DUDE
                    Can we just rent it from you?

DONNELLY
                    Sir, this is a mortuary, not a rental
                    house.

WALTER
                    We're scattering the fucking ashes!

DUDE
                    Walter--

WALTER
                    JUST BECAUSE WE'RE BEREAVED DOESN'T
                    MEAN WE'RE SAPS!

DONNELLY
                    Sir, please lower your voice--

DUDE
                    Hey man, don't you have something
                    else you could put it in?

DONNELLY
                    That is our most modestly priced
                    receptacle.

WALTER
                    GODDAMNIT! IS THERE A RALPH'S AROUND
                    HERE?!

Comment

[/quote]

For a fleeting second, I heard the theme from the Flintstones...

Comment

This must be why Jews are so cheap....they're saving it for this sort of thing.
                        "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Old cemeteries are cool to walk around in.

Comment

10/24/1944
                            KIA in the Battle of Leyte Gulf?

All I can find on him is that he died 10/24/1944 and is buried at the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial, Manila, Philippines
                            Entered service from California.

Rest in peace, sir.

Edit 12/20 @ 11:17

FOUND HIM!

Daniel A. Shapiro

Captain, U.S. Army Air Forces

Service # 0-379656

34th Pursuit Squadron, 24th Pursuit Group

Entered the Service from: California
                            Died: 24-Oct-44
                            Missing in Action or Buried at Sea
                            Tablets of the Missing at Manila American Cemetery
                            Manila, Philippines
                            Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart
                            Last edited by JP135; 12-20-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                              10/24/1944
                              KIA in the Battle of Leyte Gulf?

All I can find on him is that he died 10/24/1944 and is buried at the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial, Manila, Philippines
                              Entered service from California.

Rest in peace, sir.
                              I was going to ask if anyone could find any info. I googled my heart out on the plane ride home last night and couldn't come up with anything on the guy. And yeah reading that again myself is tough. It sounded good at 4 am.

Comment

Working...
                              X