No announcement yet.

Antarctica - Winter 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one dispose of "the crap in a bag" in the Antartic?

btw... love the pics, keep 'em coming.

mardyn

Comment

• Mike must be in the brig.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Netflix has a video "Antartica - a year on ice" that was pretty well done. It showed a lot of the things you've taken pictures of. Pretty "cool" ... for sure!
        DamonH

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          There are several versions of that article depending on what source wrote it. I wouldn't say the drinking is a 'problem' like they say. However, I think people do drink more down there. For one, there isn't much else to do and, second, we don't have to drive back home. The main reason I never drink here in the states is because I don't want to drive back home and run the risk of getting caught.

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
          Do you guys have to plow much or is the snow dry enough to just blow it out of the way? How deep is the snow?
          Both. It is the driest driest desert in the world, so there is no moisture to keep the snow packed together like you would have here in the states (or anywhere else for that matter). However, because it is so dry and it is just ice crystals, the wind does a really good job of packing the snow together. It almost never snows down on the ice... more like it blows in. The wind does a really good job of getting rid of loose snow too. However, if the wind has a chance to pack the snow together, then it gets pretty hard and yes, we have to do a lot of plowing (with bucket loaders, graders, backhoes, snow blowers, etc) to get rid of built up snow. Make sense?

To give you an example, here is a picture of me being silly and posing for a picture. Notice I am not sinking into the snow where I am standing. You can actually walk on top of it.

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
          How does one dispose of "the crap in a bag" in the Antartic?

btw... love the pics, keep 'em coming.

mardyn
          We turn it into Haz Waste and they ship it out when the annual vessel comes in. :-D

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          Mike must be in the brig.
          Just got home (back here in Dallas) a couple hours ago. The charger for my laptop stopped working, so I couldn't upload any pictures (the reason why I haven't been updating my vacation thread) and the last couple of days I have been flying (NZ to South Africa to Dubai to USA). Glad it is all done. Trying to get my pictures off my camera now. Expect vacation pictures within 24hrs :-D

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
          Netflix has a video "Antartica - a year on ice" that was pretty well done. It showed a lot of the things you've taken pictures of. Pretty "cool" ... for sure!
          That is a great documentary! Quite a few of the people interviewed in the video still work down there. The guy that made the documentary (I helped fund him on Kickstarter, but have never met him) is back down on the ice right now doing more filming.

Also keep an eye out for this guy: https://www.facebook.com/Alasdair-Tu...-186689162815/

He is doing a lot of filming down there and wants to do a similar documentary, but focus on the science that goes on.

Comment

• Welcome back, Mike! Glad to see you made it out alive and not frozen solid. Looking forward to your pics.
            Did your girlfriend come back with you?
            Also, will you/ya'll be going back or are you done?
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
              Welcome back, Mike! Glad to see you made it out alive and not frozen solid. Looking forward to your pics.
              Did your girlfriend come back with you?
              Also, will you/ya'll be going back or are you done?
              Thanks!

My girlfriend wants to do the holidays with her parents and the summer season down in NZ, so she will fly up in March. I have to look at what kind of visa she can get, but right now it looks like only a visitor's visa. If anybody knows anything about visas... I am all ears, because I don't know anything.

We are both done with the ice. I am going to start looking for work around here.

Comment

• incredible

Comment

Working...
                X