No announcement yet.

Red Bull and Caterham (F1) give their V8s one last blast - rev limiters removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull and Caterham (F1) give their V8s one last blast - rev limiters removed

As they prep to switch to the turbo V6 next year a fitting sendoff was necessary for the Renault RS27 after the Brazillian GP...

The removed the rev limiters and let 'em rip. Supposedly Red Bull hit 22,000 RPM

Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber helped Red Bull and Renault to send off their final V8 engine with one last blast.

Webber personally fired up the Renault RS27 in his chassis, glowed white hot as it screamed away at maximum revs with its limiter disabled.

Lotus and Caterham added to the cacophony of noise in the pit lane after the Brazilian Grand Prix as Formula One said goodbye to the V8 engine formula which has been in service since the 2006 season.
    Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber helped Red Bull and Renault give their last V8 engine a final blast.

Red Bull:

Caterham:

BTW, fun facts on the Renault RS27:
    • 2.4 L V8 (2006 to 2013)
    • 8 years of competition
    • 59 wins – 40% of wins in the V8 era
    • 65 pole positions
    • 55 fastest laps
    • 3665.5 points
    • 5 Constructors’ world titles
    • 5 Drivers’ world titles
    • 750 bhp maximum power (2013 version, typical car installation, typical temp/pressure/humidity)
    • 18,000 rpm maximum engine speed (2013 version)
    • 95kg weight, FIA perimeter
    • 1,271 engines built, 683 for track use, 588 for dyno use
    • more than 2 000 000 km total
    • more than 5 000 components per engine
    • more than 7 600 000 parts used
    • 21,800 pistons used
    • 43,200 inlet valves used
    • 45,900 exhaust valves used
    • 43,800 connecting-rod bolts fitted
    • 22,000 spark plugs used
    • 10,600 oil filters used

Jean-Michel Jalinier, Renault Sport F1 President and Managing Director: “The V8 era has been a particularly successful one for Renault, and one that stands up to the exceptionally high standards we set with the V10 in the 90s. We can be very proud of the ‘hit’ rate of wins and poles, but equally of the progress we have made, particularly under the frozen engine regulations. What is equally satisfying is the relationships we have built up with all of our teams. We have worked hard on installation to provide the most driveable engine, sacrificing outright power to enable greater integration and other benefits such as energy recovery and cooling to make the overall speed of the car quicker. To have won with four different teams and six different drivers shows the relationships have flourished.”

18,000 rpm maximum engine speed (2013 version)
    I find that just hard to put through my head.. Each cylinder firing 300 times per second..

This guy said it well...

"This Honda F1 engine produces 18,000RPM, each piston stroke is traveling 300 times A SECOND!!! In almost the time it requires to blink your eye, the piston has already went up and down 300 times. It still amazes me till this day and a part of my brain still cannot comprehend the the truth of it... but the math is there and it is proven possible.

Serioualy, 300 times a second. The amount of heat generated and the precision required is so fine that even the slightest imbalance in any of the components will cause the engine to implode upon itself. The level of engineer is just so mind boggling. Damn, I love cars."

Comment

Originally posted by Dinger View Post
      I find that just hard to put through my head.. Each cylinder firing 300 times per second..
      I remember reading (somewhere... a while ago...) that in that 22,000 rpm range (depending on engine design) they are actually rev limited by physics. The piston speeds try to overtake combustion flame-front speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        I remember reading (somewhere... a while ago...) that in that 22,000 rpm range (depending on engine design) they are actually rev limited by physics. The piston speeds try to overtake combustion flame-front speeds.
        And they are somehow reliable. Mind boggling.

Just curious, but why the shift away from v8's? Is the v6 just a new challenge?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          that's amazing to think about.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Mind blown.

Comment

Awesome. I hope the rest of the teams do the same. I wanna hear Ferrari's engine uncapped.
              Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

i'm gonna miss the v8 era.

picture of a ferrari piston from an f1 engine (though it's from the v10, visually helps you understand how light the components are. combined with pneumatic valves, that's how you get those wild 18-22K rpms)

www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

i think my favorite thing is how ridiculously small the clutch assembly is:

www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
                    i think my favorite thing is how ridiculously small the clutch assembly is:

Hell, the whole engine is quite small for a V8 (2.4L).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Yeah, severely destroked.

Are they triple plate clutches?

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        The engine weighs 209lbs. A coyote 5.0 weighs 440lbs. An LS1 right around 400lbs.

Crazy.

Comment

nobody lit a cigeratte from the exhaust? weak

those engines sound awesome

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                            The engine weighs 209lbs. A coyote 5.0 weighs 440lbs. An LS1 right around 400lbs.

Crazy.
                            They look like a scale model.. maybe 60% sized?

Comment

Working...
                            X