Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody uniforms

What do you guys think?

A Northwestern uniform that was meant to support wounded troops, may have crudely offended the very people it was supposed to honor.

For its Nov. 16 football game, Northwestern University partnered with Under Armour to design patriotic uniforms to raise funds for the Wounded Warrior Project, a nonprofit that works to empower vets with injuries.

But some critics have found the flag getup pretty crass, considering that the red stripes appear to be bleeding –- from the helmet down to the cleats.

“Isn't 'flag covered in blood' a little on-the-nose for something honoring a group that operates programs for injured veterans?” wrote Tom Socca for Deadspin.

EVANSTON, Il. (WTVR) — A new uniform just unveiled for the Northwestern University football team is grabbing attention after football fans and veterans realize it has “blood” splatters on it.

The Wildcats will wear the jerseys as they take on Michigan University on November 16th at Northwestern. After the game, all the jersey’s will be auctioned off with all of the proceeds going towards the Wounded Warrior Project — a service dedicated to helping U.S. veterans as they recover or adjust to sometimes life altering injuries from the battlefield.

The issue some are taking with uniform is the design of, “splattered blood” that appears on the uniform’s helmet, shoulder pads, cleats and gloves over stripes of the American flag.
    Patriotic references also include a complete red, white and blue look with each player’s name being replaced by one of seven “core value embellishments.” Those include “Duty, Honor, Courage, Commitment, Integrity, Country and Service.”

You can take a lot at them right here for yourself.

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

The fake blood on those uniforms will ruin society.

Comment

Not only do I like the design, it reminds me of my phones current wallpaper.
      Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like gnexus.
      sigpic

Comment

Dumb. We all know they bled. The warriors knew they bled. It doesn't need to be visualized. It also directly contradicts the "These colors don't run 'murrica..." statement.

Comment

I take it as a little more graphic reminder for people like me who have never served. Protecting our freedom is a bloody task, I will step out on a limb and say that goes farther than those who have not served care to know. I don't mind being reminded of that, because every time I am I remember how grateful I am for the men and women in our armed forces. I remember that I am blessed to not know, and have not seen what many of them have seen. Personally I don't have a problem with it.

However I can understand that some may have a problem with it. Maybe due to "flag etiquette", and I can certainly see that it might bring back bad memories for wounded vets.

I would probably take it off, but only out of respect for others.
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Pretty crass. People suffering from PTSD really don't need the visuals. Smearing blood all over the flag is disrespectful.

Why does everything have to be so damned extreme? How about just using the WWP logo? Or a tastefully done flag uniform?

No, we've gotta be all extreme! lets smear the uniform with blood!

For the ad execs:
            How about some brains, hair and teeth? Maybe a nice chunk of lung tissue? Can you duplicate the smell? Copper, vomit, excrement and maybe burnt gunpowder.

Next year's idea: Pics of crying young widows and orphaned children?

Comment

Checked with an ex marine, ex army desert shield, and another ex army here at work. No one gives a shit.

Where are all the fucking crybabies coming from?
              sigpic

Comment

Former Marine Sgt. here, I dont give a fuck, i think its cool.
                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Tech is doing a special uniform as well to benefit the Lone Survivor Foundation started by Marcus Luttrell

Comment

I honestly fucking hate people using the flag as a article of clothing. That is where my problem lies. It isn't a fashion statement, it is the banner that many men bled and died for.

I am honestly blown away by how many people think the flag is a decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                      I honestly fucking hate people using the flag as a article of clothing. That is where my problem lies. It isn't a fashion statement, it is the banner that many men bled and died for.

I am honestly blown away by how many people think the flag is a decoration.
                      *Removes american flag pants from next gtg wardrobe*
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Well I guess I wont bring the Miata to any GTG's.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          In all fairness I was given a american flag t shirt by my brother that I can't bring myself to hate. Damn thing has an american flag tie silk screened on it.

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          Well I guess I wont bring the Miata to any GTG's.
                          I thought your Miata was a Texas flag?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                            Checked with an ex marine, ex army desert shield, and another ex army here at work. No one gives a shit.

Where are all the fucking crybabies coming from?
                            The WWP has turned into a showboat organization, concerned with pushing it's brand more than anything. I have no problem with the uniforms and think they look good. We need more stuff showing off the American flag and the more people are reminded that the rights they so willingly give up are paid for in the blood of millions of vets through the ages, the better
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                              In all fairness I was given a american flag t shirt by my brother that I can't bring myself to hate. Damn thing has an american flag tie silk screened on it.

I thought your Miata was a Texas flag?
                              oh now we are being discriminatory on flags used for decoration?
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X