Well, I think I broke it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I think I broke it...

Apparently oil starvation/bearing failure at the 1200' mark at 6800 RPM does damage to a LOT of stuff.

Up to this point i have found that pretty much the entire bottom end is junk. I got one head off and found that all 8 valves in that head had touched a piston hard enough to at least mark each valve relief. #4 rod is the one that disintegrated, #1 exhaust valve is bent at about a 30 degree angle. I feel pretty fortunate now that more stuff didn't get damaged. Pretty sure all 8 of the valves in that head are bent, but not a one of the pushrods are bent. Smith Brothers 3/8 .120 sidewall ftw there.

Anyways, here are some pics of the carnage. Looks like I am starting over this winter. Oh well, it was time for an Iron Eagle block, F2 and shorter stroke setup anyhow.

http://www.69ecatsstrip.com

Comment

Damn you can't seem to catch a break with that car. Oh well when it does finally come together and work it will be a hell of a ride.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

ouch man.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Dammit man! Didn't you just recently rebuild?

Comment

I put a new top end and the D1 on it last winter. Guess I should have checked those bearings too!! LOL. Thing that really sucks is it was the last pass I was going to make this year. The previous two passes that day were a 9.82@138 and 9.86@137 both beat my previous personal best. The pass when it let go was still a 10.13@12something. Power brakes don't work worth a shit when the motor scatters itself, lol. I have a pretty good time shutting that 3700 pound pig down after that.

Comment

Yikes!

Comment

Shit! lol, well, last pass for the year, at least you've got plenty of down time planned already, so now you can rebuild.

Comment

Good googlie mooglie

Comment

That was an expensive suck. Why do you think it was a bearing?

Comment

fuuuuuu
                      WRX

Comment

I think it needs a doctor

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                          That was an expensive suck. Why do you think it was a bearing?
                          The crank journal of the failed rod is black. Classic oil starvation signs, and it is the last rod journal in the oiling sequence. I haven't got the block out of the car to be able to remove the crank to see for sure what happened, but I am guessing either the thrust bearing failed, or there was heavy wear/damage on one of the bearings in front of the failed journal causing lower oil pressure further back in the oiling system. Just a guess on my part as to what caused the oil starvation on the back rod journal, but oil starvation is what cause the rod to fail, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lusk Racing View Post
                            I put a new top end and the D1 on it last winter. Guess I should have checked those bearings too!! LOL. Thing that really sucks is it was the last pass I was going to make this year. The previous two passes that day were a 9.82@138 and 9.86@137 both beat my previous personal best. The pass when it let go was still a 10.13@12something. Power brakes don't work worth a shit when the motor scatters itself, lol. I have a pretty good time shutting that 3700 pound pig down after that.
                            They always break when it seems like they are on their best pass.
                            sigpic

Comment

get some quick steel. that will fix it

Comment

Working...
                              X