Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jesus Christ, what can this guy NOT do on guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
    I love this style of playing. I started playing guitar in '81. Before all the "shreding" really started. When it did, I was hooked. i got into Yngwie,Via, Vinnie More, Tonny McAlpine,Guy-man Dude even. There where several more. I have a shit ton of cassets of guys that came out with new albums every month back then. lol.
    I had all the same shit (just replace Guy Mann Dude with David Chastain)… seems like Mike Varney had a new guy every month... I saw Sheehan and Malmsteen at the Arcadia in 84(?) I don’t have many of my old albums anymore but I do still have the Steeler album that I bought just to hear the “Hot on Your Heels” intro solo. lol

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
      It’s a bit dude. Michael Hedges played a harp guitar and that was a bit. Uli Jon Roth plays his custom 6 octave Skye guitar and that’s a bit. Vai’s 7 string was a bit. Generations of guitarists have effectively demonstrated that you don’t need an instrument with an extended range to create and play complex compositions or impressive solos. Shit… if Billy Sheehan can amaze me with his technical prowess on a four string bass why is this guy, the “future of guitar”, sparing me to death on an 8 string.

As for an instrumental that demonstrates technical facility while remaining musical here is one of my favorites from 1977…
      You're all over the place, dramatic like a woman. What exactly got your stocking ruffled? The fact that I said this guy is the future of guitar, or that he plays an 8 string, and you don't like that? If it's the first thing, do you take everything that anybody ever says literally? If so, don't, and you won't sound like such a woman. If it's the latter, what problem do you have with it? He likes having 8 strings for the music he makes. You like having six...assuming you write music??? Should everybody be playing on an american strat, using only strings that you approve of, in standard tuning? Should everybody like what you like? Again, it comes down to you sounding offended for whatever reason.

By the way, I enjoyed the videos that you posted, however I'm sure that if somebody asked those guys about Tosin, they wouldn't start crying like you did.

Apparently, I'm not the only one amazed at the guy (he's 28 so I'm sure his maturity as a musician hasn't fully developed), although you might not care what this guy says since he's just a gimick.

"Legendary guitarist Steve Vai recently commented on Abasi and ANIMALS AS LEADERS:
      “When I first heard Animals As Leaders, I felt as though at last, I was hearing the future of creative, heavy virtuoso guitar playing. It’s quite amazing.”"

I'm not trying to convince you that this is the "best guitar player ever" or anything like that. There's no such thing as the best ever when it comes to music, one great thing about it. But to not give him props where props are due, because he doesn't play your style of music, or on your idea of a suitable instrument is ignorant and immature.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

There are parts of it that I like but a lot of it is just not pleasing to my ears.
        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          There's so much more to being a "good" guitarist, than just hitting the notes. Hands flying over pentatonic scales are fine, but rarely does it have "soul" to it. B.B.King may play only 3 notes, but he plays those 3 notes better than anyone else.
          Ditto. that guy was technical but it kind of sounded like nothing. Too many notes were flying around to give it a feel.

Comment

I will withhold ultimate judgement until I listen to this under the influence of some cannabis...

not my style by a mile, but I'm not unimpressed
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
              I had all the same shit (just replace Guy Mann Dude with David Chastain)… seems like Mike Varney had a new guy every month... I saw Sheehan and Malmsteen at the Arcadia in 84(?) I don’t have many of my old albums anymore but I do still have the Steeler album that I bought just to hear the “Hot on Your Heels” intro solo. lol
              David Chastain was bad ass too.
              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Calm down poopie…you don’t have to get all flustered when people don’t agree with you – and apparently most don’t. Perhaps in future threads you should request ‘positive comments only please’ since you’re so easily offended.

Since you keep missing the point over and over let me reiterate. I don’t care if he’s playing an 8 string guitar or a ukulele. It’s all about the composition.

If you compiled every song ever written by the current crop of guitar gods (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Johnson, Gilbert, etc…) into a giant list how many truly great songs would you have? Not many. It’s a sad truth that while technique can be learned and developed - creativity is a gift. Jimi Hendrix was a far better songwriter than guitarist. His creative genius is what made him so special.

Let’s just say that Mr Abasi is no Hendrix. But he is "like Beethoven".

Comment

come on, this guy is better and he plays two guitars at once..

Comment

Comment

BTBAM = Greatness! For some reason I couldn't help but think of Stepbrothers.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorNutz View Post
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phquvs7Toh8
                        That was pretty damned cool, but he is playing somebody elses song.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorNutz View Post
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phquvs7Toh8
                          That guy is just copying Stanley Jordan - who has been playing in this style for over 30 years.

On a lighter note here is my nomination for guitar player with the biggest bit…

Michael Angelo Batio

He’s a legitimate player but squanders his talents on turning his guitar and his playing into a circus. He should replace Nigel in Spinal Tap.

Comment

Working...
                          X