1/8mile Time Slips: 01 Turbo Cobra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/8mile Time Slips: 01 Turbo Cobra

Prior to Friday night, my last track visit was a 1/4 mile with my 6-speed and 2-step... Ran the following while granny shifting (since i was going to sell tranny):

I did the auto swap, 26" to 28" tires and 3:55 to 3:27 gears, nothing else, and ran my car Friday night in the 1/8 mile using transbrake, no 2-step. These were my very first passes with an auto, ever, not to mention with a line lock and transbrake... was too nervous to mess with the 2-step. Overall, car ran great. Incredibly smooth, just not launching hard enough... need to build more boost off the line... there's much more in her. Ran in order from left to right:

Run 1:
    No clue what i was doing... wimpy burnout, pre-stage, creeped up to full stage, hit t-brake, rev'd to about 3K, slowly started building boost and light turned green so i just hit it. took off weak and still spun. Tires were at 12psi.

Run 2:
    Another wimpy burnout, pre-stage, creeped to full stage, hit t-brake, hit gas pedal harder to about 3,200 to build a little more boost but light turned green before building it up high enough... took off about the same. Tires at 12psi. Can't remember the car i ran but he only beat me by .04sec... i was pulling him hard... would have blown his doors off in the 1/4.

Run 3:
    Lowered tires to 10psi. Grabbed 2nd during burnout and held a little longer, pre-staged, held foot brake and started building some boost right then, creeped forward to full stage, hit t-brake, hit gas even harder built up a little more boost and launched her.

I found out yesterday after some research that you shouldn't do burnouts in 1st or 2nd... oops. Well, I know now. Told you I was a newb...

I know i can build more boost but just need more practice... additionally, i have a 2-step to experiment with... So if I ran a 10.99 @ 130mph with a 7.2 1/8mile, what do you think I can run in the 1/4mile after running a 6.8 in the 1/8 with room for improvement? you think mid 10's? low 10's?

Another question: With a transbrake, can I floor it? or do I have to hold the throttle at or around my stall rpm?

Also, I will try to be at Kennedale Sunday morning (10/6/13) to try and improve my times...

Thanks,
    Steve
    01 Mineral Gray Cobra

- Built 4.6, 04 Cobra Heads, TH-400, Solid Axle, 76mm Turbo

Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

nice.

What gear are supposed to do burnouts in? When I first began racing, I would do them in 1st, but the engine would rev too hard and the tires wouldn't get hot enough, so I start doing them in 2nd. The tires worked much better in 2nd, but it would kill my clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
        nice.

What gear are supposed to do burnouts in? When I first began racing, I would do them in 1st, but the engine would rev too hard and the tires wouldn't get hot enough, so I start doing them in 2nd. The tires worked much better in 2nd, but it would kill my clutch.
        dump the clutch in 1st and grab 2nd quick
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Love the Mineral Gray

Comment

With a standard I always did burnouts in 2nd. Just get the tires wet and its not hard at all unless you have no power at all lol
            http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

With the 6-speed, I started by burnout in 2nd. Could get them nice and warm...

With the Auto, my tranny builder told me to burnout in high gear (3rd)... So that's what I shall do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              01 Mineral Gray Cobra

Comment

Power brake it into the beams...as soon as you stage, hit the transbrake and put the pedal to the floor! Hang on

Comment

Originally posted by spankustang View Post
                  Power brake it into the beams...as soon as you stage, hit the transbrake and put the pedal to the floor! Hang on
                  Lol thanks man! Yesterday evening, I took my car around the block to test the transbrake some more... Didn't have balls to floor it but I quickly gave it about 3/4 throttle and boost shot up to about 7lbs!! Not sure how high it would have gone if I would've let it keep going... Flooring it will be nasty...

Need to play with 2-step as well... Running an N2MB WOT Box. There is a default setting where you have to floor it before RPM's reach 1,500rpm to activate 2-step. If so, then I can't power brake it prior to transbrake. I'd have to stage then floor it... I wonder if I can remove that setting all together...

01 Mineral Gray Cobra

Comment

I always do burnouts in second. Pull to the very edge of the water box right where the concrete looks dry & somewhat wet & side step the clutch & let it her rip & the smoke role
                    GOD BLESS TEXAS
                    August Landscaping
                    214-779-7278
                    Seb's high class.
                    He'll mow your grass.
                    He'll kick your ass.
                    And while his kidney stones pass,
                    He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Get a bump bump box
                      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by killspray View Post
                        With the 6-speed, I started by burnout in 2nd. Could get them nice and warm...

With the Auto, my tranny builder told me to burnout in high gear (3rd)... So that's what I shall do.

Every transmission guy you talk to will tell you to do something different. Mine said a 3rd gear burnout will build a ton of converter heat, so he told me to to a 1-2 burnout. Another guy told me a second gear burnout will kill second gear. All I know is I have been doing 1-2 burnouts for several years and haven't killed 2nd yet. I personally think it has more to do with building the right transmission for the job. If you are going to make 900 horse, make sure your transmission builder knows that and builds accordingly.
                        http://www.69ecatsstrip.com

Comment

If running just for lowest ET, and as long as clock doesn't start until you break the beams, don't worry about leaving on green. Sit there and build boost and leave when you're ready...
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by Lusk Racing View Post
                            Every transmission guy you talk to will tell you to do something different. Mine said a 3rd gear burnout will build a ton of converter heat, so he told me to to a 1-2 burnout. Another guy told me a second gear burnout will kill second gear. All I know is I have been doing 1-2 burnouts for several years and haven't killed 2nd yet. I personally think it has more to do with building the right transmission for the job. If you are going to make 900 horse, make sure your transmission builder knows that and builds accordingly.
                            Ugh... I hate conflicting recommendations. And of course, if you toast your tranny on a burnout, everyone and their mother will call you an idiot.

You running a TH-400? If you haven't had issues in years, then that makes me feel a little better...

01 Mineral Gray Cobra

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                              If running just for lowest ET, and as long as clock doesn't start until you break the beams, don't worry about leaving on green. Sit there and build boost and leave when you're ready...
                              Yeah, it's just that pride thing when staged next to someone else... You're right though

01 Mineral Gray Cobra

Comment

Working...
                              X