2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost Torture Test..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the US infrastructure doesn't readily support diesels, unfortunately

I wish it did as diesel has a higher BTU than gasoline and it's just better! LOL

but when gasoline costs 30-40 cents less per gallon, and you have a gas engine that's as reliable as a diesel from a wear standpoint and MORE reliable from a component standpoint due to ONLY running 2,000psi of injection pressure vs. 20-25,000psi, the DI gasser is a game changer IMO

I had never even heard of DI gas until I started looking into the Mazdaspeed 3's
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
      22 hwy and 18 city isn't good for a 390hp 5300lb truck? I'm stumped.
      I'm with you, though it's 365 hp / 420 tq.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post

I'm sure we've all had venerable 302's with 170-200k that were still running like tops,
        Yeah, lol. I had a 92 F150 302 years ago that had 200k on it when I sold it and it ran as good if not better than new. That is the one vehicle that I would keep if I had to do over again. I loved that truck. 302 efi 5 speed 2wd, with the mods I did to it, it ran REAL good.

lmao, it was like the FoxbodyMike of the trucks!
        68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
        63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
        i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          you can go back in time and buy any pre- 04.5 dodge diesel and get well beyond those numbers with a heavier truck, BUT you'll be paying more for fuel
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            DI gas is friggin' cool... definitely bridges the gap between traditional gas and diesel.

I think the DI accounts for a lot of the longevity as you don't have raw fuel contacting the cylinder walls... same as a diesel... I thought it was kinda funny when they called 150k a lifetime of miles.

I'm sure we've all had venerable 302's with 170-200k that were still running like tops, and I've been messing with diesels for the past decade or so... 200k to me anymore is about half a lifetime
            150K a lifetime of miles? Pfft. My 300 I6 in my F150 is at 231K, no sweat, just starting to get broken in. Heck, even the 360 in my dads Ram has 231K without even needing anything major. Diesels are something else, my uncle has an 00 Ram Cummings with 300K on it, runs like a top.

Comment

I wonder what kind of maintenance schedule they went by and what kind of fluids were used? If I had were looking for a brand new 1/2 ton truck this would be it. I still can't believe the margin of victory over the GM truck with the 5.3 pulling that trailer up-hill. Wow.....

Comment

Originally posted by VETTKLR View Post
                Holddddd up, now. I bleed Ford Blue, but why the hell did they slaughter that 5.3 on the hill climb and not put it up against a 6.2 Vortec Max? The 5.3 is to Silverados like the 302 was to F-150's...effing weak sauce.
                They've always got the 5.0, or the Ford 6.2 for that.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                  I was speaking of the dodge...funny thing is the dodge weighs 200 to 400lbs more than the ford so the 3.2 seconds up the hill climb is nothing and I bet the Ford guys were a little surprised by the Dodge!

I too would like to know the oil change interval for all the testing. The oil coming out of that motor was WAY too clean for having just finished the baja 1000. I bet it had dyno time on it only for the post test dynos....not to mention the inside of the motor was perfectly clean. My guess is they were using a VERY good synthetic and not dyno goo...that alone can account for the longevity of the motor.

Admittedly, they are doing a really great thing with engine technology, but I just don't see anything that says I should go out and buy one tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                    22 hwy and 18 city isn't good for a 390hp 5300lb truck? I'm stumped.
                    Man I owned a Hemi truck and I never got anything close to 22 mpg on the hwy. And yes it did have that thing where it switched from 8 cly down to 4cly on the hwy. Hell right now I'm in a rental truck and its a 2010 I believe and I'm only getting about 18 on the hwy. 22 mpg is BS unless you drive 55 on the highway, but who does that?
                    2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Badass2000GT View Post
                      Man I owned a Hemi truck and I never got anything close to 22 mpg on the hwy. And yes it did have that thing where it switched from 8 cly down to 4cly on the hwy. Hell right now I'm in a rental truck and its a 2010 I believe and I'm only getting about 18 on the hwy. 22 mpg is BS unless you drive 55 on the highway, but who does that?
                      I had a 04 hemi that wouldn't get 17 mpg at 55 on flat highway. Traveling 80 on I40 it would get 14 even. I towed a 24' empty gooseneck 500 miles and averaged 7.8 with a average speed of 70 mph. Trailer only weighed 4k.

How is your 10 working out for you? I'm about to do something about my fuel economy but love the truck so far. I've had three regens in 5,600 miles, and I'm averaging a hand calculated 13.9 mpg mixed, which is about 1 mpg worse than my 6.0 mixed, but the straight highway mpg are off by over 2 mpg. Time for some mods.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                        I had a 04 hemi that wouldn't get 17 mpg at 55 on flat highway. Traveling 80 on I40 it would get 14 even. I towed a 24' empty gooseneck 500 miles and averaged 7.8 with a average speed of 70 mph. Trailer only weighed 4k.

How is your 10 working out for you? I'm about to do something about my fuel economy but love the truck so far. I've had three regens in 5,600 miles, and I'm averaging a hand calculated 13.9 mpg mixed, which is about 1 mpg worse than my 6.0 mixed, but the straight highway mpg are off by over 2 mpg. Time for some mods.
                        The 2010 is a rental truck. My truck is a 2010 f-350 6.4L with a few mods. In my 9k pound truck I avg about 20 mpg per fill up. But this 2010 dodge I'm driving doesn't get the mpg that they are claiming plus I really don't like it. Probably cause I'm a ford guy. I guess it's good enough for a mopar fan.
                        2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Badass2000GT View Post
                          hand calced 17.5 hwy in my 2008 running 65-70mph with a tonneau and 3.92's. Tires at 50lbs of air.

My girl's 2010 with 3.55's, tonneau and 50lbs of air in the tires is seeing 21.4 to 22.5 depending on the grades.

We both run with the cruise control constantly and watch tire pressures. We recently put the new tires on her truck because the Goodcraps were deadly in the wet with only 15k miles. Discount put 30lbs of air in them and we saw 17mpg coming back down from Plano to College Station. Last trip to houston with 50lbs of air in the tires saw over 20mph even with high winds.

I still think my 2008 is amazing on mileage given the 3.92's, but it's an SLT Quad Cab, compared to her Crew Cab laramie.....which translates to mine being about 300lbs lighter.

Now, we can average single digits if we drive like a teenager with our foot to the floor all the time....but we are getting on in years and drive like old people! Even dodging all the fucking college kids here in town and driving aggressively we see 14 city with hard use. She gets 13-14 towing her race car/trailer and I get 11-12 towing my race car/trailer which is about 1000lbs lighter than her combo.

Funny thing is people with the 5.3 and 4.8 Chevy's can't get north of 15 mpg because the damn motors are working too hard. That suburban I drove a couple weeks ago barely averaged 13mpg as you had to have the throttle half down just to cruise down the highway.

Ford MPG?

Comment

We've had direct injection in several models for a few years at Lexus. The only drawback I am seeing is excessive carbon buildup on the valves due to the lack of fuel spraying on them. If the can figure that out, we'll be set.

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
                              We've had direct injection in several models for a few years at Lexus. The only drawback I am seeing is excessive carbon buildup on the valves due to the lack of fuel spraying on them. If the can figure that out, we'll be set.
                              I've wondered about that for a while. Fuel usually helps cool the valve too...do they have to run sodium filled valves?

Comment

Originally posted by VETTKLR View Post
                                Holddddd up, now. I bleed Ford Blue, but why the hell did they slaughter that 5.3 on the hill climb and not put it up against a 6.2 Vortec Max? The 5.3 is to Silverados like the 302 was to F-150's...effing weak sauce.
                                Because its still a V8? Its all marketing

Comment

Working...
                                X