Costa Concordia Salvage Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Concordia Salvage Operation

Apparently it takes a lot of effort to right a 950' long boat.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Damn. Gonna take a while to pump all that water out of it.

Comment

Incredible.

Comment

Low rider

Comment

That'd make a helluva wake for wakeboarding with all of that ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            That'd make a helluva wake for wakeboarding with all of that ballast.
            Nice!

Comment

^ wakeboarding in a stew of nasty shit!

from a gizmodo commenter. it seems accurate.

At 114,500 tonnes, the Concordia is twice as big as the Titanic, which capsized and sank after hitting an iceberg in the North Atlantic in 1912.

The Costa Concordia was at the start of a week-long cruise in the Mediterranean when it crashed and its larders and freezers were packed to capacity with vast quantities of fresh food, dried goods, drinks and other supplies for its 4,200 passengers and crew.

Trapped inside the upturned hull are more than 24,000lbs of fish, nearly 5,500lbs of cheese, 1,500 gallons of ice cream in tubs, 24,000lbs of pasta, 2,000lbs of onions, more than 2,000 pots of jam and nearly 17,000 tea bags.

Rotting beneath the waterline are more than 17,000lbs of raw beef, nearly 11,000 eggs, 2,346 hot dog buns, 815lbs of rabbit meat and more than 1,000 gallons of milk.

Some of the food and drink is sealed, presenting less of a pollution risk, including 18,000 bottles of wine, 22,000 cans of Coca-Cola, 1,000 bottles of extra virgin olive oil, 46,000 miniature bottles of spirits and 10 bottles of communion wine for the ship's chapel.

Much of the meat and vegetables is contained in giant fridges and freezers deep inside the bowels of the ship.

In addition to the rotting food, there are oils, lubricants and other chemicals inside the vessel, including 65 gallons of paint and 10 gallons of insecticide, as well as thousands of items such as mattresses, clothing, shoes, crockery and plastic sun loungers.

The whole lot is swirling around in a giant stew of debris, with an estimated 29,000 cubic metres of contaminated water expected to gush out of the vessel as she is hauled upright.
              Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

I don't see the rotting food to be much of a "contamination" problem, as fish die and rot constantly. The paint, oil, etc., is definitely a problem, but hardly at Valdez proportions.

Comment

Would not want to be the one that has to clean out the fridge!!

Comment

It'll be back in operation in a year. Kind of reminds me of a roller coaster ride that came in and a seat was covered in puke. The staff paper toweled the area and then sent it on its way without any people in it, came back in and they loaded it up as if no one would know they were sitting in a seat that was covered in throw up just a few minutes earlier.

Comment

^I thought I heard on the radio that its going to the salvage yard?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                        It'll be back in operation in a year. Kind of reminds me of a roller coaster ride that came in and a seat was covered in puke. The staff paper toweled the area and then sent it on its way without any people in it, came back in and they loaded it up as if no one would know they were sitting in a seat that was covered in throw up just a few minutes earlier.
                        They are salvaging it for scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          They are salvaging it for scrap.
                          So they say!

Comment

I heard it was being sold to some pirates from Somalia.

Comment

I heard freighttrain bought it and is going to store his rugs in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X