Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C130 Aircraft Carrier

Touch and go. Landings and take offs.

During 1963, a KC-130F aircraft made history by landing and taking off from the aircraft carrier; USS Forrestal (CVA-59). The crew successfully negotiated 29 touch-and-go landings, 21 unarrested full-stop landings, and 21 unassisted takeoffs at gross

Wow, that plane is even more bad ass then I knew it to be. It didn't even use the long deck of the carrier for takeoff. Very sweet.

Comment

I remember finding out about it when I first joined the C-130 community. Bass ones those guys had. IIRC there was less than 10 feet clearance between the superstructure and the right hand wing. When you're talking about a bird with a 100ish foot wingspan.......

The sad thing is. You'd never find any higher ranking officer with balls big enough today to sign off on an operation like this. Things that push the envelope. Things that do things just to see if we can do them. Too much ORM these days for shit like this and too much politics.
      2004 Suzuki DL650
      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

That was badass, I wouldn't have wanted to be on it during all that though lol. And we civilians though a combat landing in Afghanistan was bad lol.

Comment

Lol at the "Look Ma No Hook" painted on the side of the C-130!
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

The U2 did it also. Granted it used a tail hook and steam ram, but still, equally impressive/ballsy.
            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Damn that was a short landing.
              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Operation Fish Hawk

I heard about this years ago from a pilot of a U-2 that lived here in Dallas. He alluded to the carrier landings and take off but never said if it was used operationally. I always thought he was one of the pilots that was on this mission.
                Mustangs previously owned:
                1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                1992 LX AOD
                1993 LX Drag Car
                1995 GTS
                1997 Cobra
                2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                2016 Honda Accord Touring
                2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

For more info on the U-2 carrier operations (U-2 Operations after May 1960, page 53-57) and its CIA history, download these recently released docs for hours of interesting reading.

CIA history reveals newly declassified material on U-2 and OXCART reconnaissance programs; information and map of Area 51/Groom Lake; fresh detail on spy flights over China, USSR, France
                  Mustangs previously owned:
                  1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                  1992 LX AOD
                  1993 LX Drag Car
                  1995 GTS
                  1997 Cobra
                  2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                  Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                  2016 Honda Accord Touring
                  2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Once upon I was a C130 guy, and I tell you what, that aircrew had one big set for sure

Comment

Holy shit. I had no idea you could land something that big on a carrier.

I wonder why they did that, just to see if they could?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post

The Pacific is a BIG mother and flying over Europe to get to USSR is a bit of a gimme... (Just speculating.)
                          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                              X