C-47 turned gunship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-47 turned gunship

I came across these while looking at something else this morning. The Douglas AC-47 - (aka "Spooky" aka "Puff the Magic Dragon") - The first aerial gunship employed by the USAF.

It was equipped with three 7.62mm General Electric miniguns to fire through two rear window openings and the side cargo door, all on the left (pilot's) side of the aircraft,

The guns were actuated by a control on the pilot's yoke whereby he could control the guns either individually or together, although gunners were also among the crew to assist with gun failures and similar issues.

It could orbit the target for hours providing suppressing fire over an elliptical area approximately 52 yd (47.5 m) in diameter, placing a round every 2.4 yd (2.2 m) during a 3-second burst. The aircraft also carried flares that it could drop to illuminate the battleground.

Last edited by Strychnine; 08-15-2013, 07:31 AM.

making it rain

Comment

Badass! I'd love to see video of that in action.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
      Originally posted by Denny
      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I started a project building one of these a while back, I need to get back on it.

Comment

good Lord!! I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that welcoming party

Comment

That gooney bird brings the pain!
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Badass

Comment

I need one of those miniguns.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

A thing of beauty.

Comment

FUCK YEA! great post sir

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        I need one of those miniguns.
                        Lol, that thing would bankrupt you in just a few minutes of fire. The amount of ammo they consume is unfathomable.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          Lol, that thing would bankrupt you in just a few minutes of fire. The amount of ammo they consume is unfathomable.
                          That's why 9 out of 10 times. It's mostly $.05 blanks mixed with live ammo at most shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            Numbers?
                            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                              Numbers?
                              2,000-6,000 rounds per minute, depending.

Page details technical specifications, development, and operational history of the General Electric M134 Minigun including pictures.
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X