Right-on-red legality question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-on-red legality question

My sister was in town last week, and we got into an argument after she said I did something illegal. We were at an intersection that had two right turn lanes that had a sign like this:

I was in the straight-or-right lane, light was red, I turned right on red into the outside lane. Is turning right from that outside right turn lane illegal? I say no, she says yes. She said it's only legal if BOTH turn lanes are right-turn-only. I fail to see how that has any bearing on the subject, but she seems to think there's a difference.

I'm going to need proof (which I've googled and can't find, only the standard right-on-red one lane legalities, which I'm using in my defense, because if there's no law against it, it's legal ) if I'm going to throw it in her face as all good siblings would. If she's right, I will allow her to chastise me as well.

who cares...... in for pics of sis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
      who cares...... in for pics of sis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god bless.
      She's kinda...big. And 40 with two kids and a husband who's a Colonel (and a judge) in the USAF.

Comment

I have always thought it was legal.

but pics from sister will help confirm it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
          She's kinda...big.
          okay. nevermind. you are legal to make that turn. maybe not, but i've always done it.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

My sister was in town last week, and we got into an argument after she said I did something illegal. We were at an intersection that had two right turn lanes that had a sign like this:

I was in the straight-or-right lane, light was red, I turned right on red into the outside lane. Is turning right from that outside right turn lane illegal? I say no, she says yes. She said it's only legal if BOTH turn lanes are right-turn-only. I fail to see how that has any bearing on the subject, but she seems to think there's a difference.

I'm going to need proof (which I've googled and can't find, only the standard right-on-red one lane legalities, which I'm using in my defense, because if there's no law against it, it's legal ) if I'm going to throw it in her face as all good siblings would. If she's right, I will allow her to chastise me as well.
            by that theory, then right turn on red would be limited to right turn only lanes, and the regular two lane stop lights that you can either go straight or turn wouldnt be included.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Most cities it IS illegal if you're in the left lane turning right in that situation. The far right line can unless it states that you CAN NOT turn on red.

Comment

I see people do it every day at 820 and Rufe Snow with cops sitting in the parking lot watching them.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

You have a sister? Holy shit. I've known you for like 15 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                    Most cities it IS illegal if you're in the left lane turning right in that situation. The far right line can unless it states that you CAN NOT turn on red.
                    Do you have proof of that? Not trying to be a dick, just want to read it for myself.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    You have a sister? Holy shit. I've known you for like 15 years...
                    Yeah, she's 12 years older than me and has been living around the world because her USAF husband gets a new deployment every two years. Don't get to see her much.

Comment

Do you have proof of that? Not trying to be a dick, just want to read it for myself.
                      Some of the lights have signs where it says no turn on right in the straight lane. In all honestly I think it has to be posted. If not you're good.

Comment

I think you - and by extension, I - am right, but I need to back it up with proof/evidence (damn lawyer's wife). Can any of the board cops chime in?

Comment

what is the intersection?

Comment

Some of the lights have signs where it says no turn on right in the straight lane. In all honestly I think it has to be posted. If not you're good.
                            This

Comment

ยง 544.007. TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS IN GENERAL. (a) A
                              traffic-control signal displaying different colored lights or
                              colored lighted arrows successively or in combination may display
                              only green, yellow, or red and applies to operators of vehicles as
                              provided by this section.
                              (b) An operator of a vehicle facing a circular green signal
                              may proceed straight or turn right or left unless a sign prohibits
                              the turn. The operator shall yield the right-of-way to other
                              vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or an
                              adjacent crosswalk when the signal is exhibited.
                              (c) An operator of a vehicle facing a green arrow signal,
                              displayed alone or with another signal, may cautiously enter the
                              intersection to move in the direction permitted by the arrow or
                              other indication shown simultaneously. The operator shall yield
                              the right-of-way to a pedestrian lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk
                              and other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
                              (d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal
                              shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop
                              line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the
                              near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall
                              remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After
                              stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely,
                              and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent
                              crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the
                              operator may:
                              (1) turn right; or
                              (2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
                              one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.
                              (e) An operator of a vehicle facing a steady yellow signal
                              is warned by that signal that:
                              (1) movement authorized by a green signal is being
                              terminated; or
                              (2) a red signal is to be given.

Comment

Working...
                              X