First time white water rafting trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time white water rafting trip

Just got back from a weeks vacation in Colorado. Did a bunch of stuff with my parents, HS reunion, and ended the week with a white water rafting trip down the Cache La Poudre river Friday morning. That was a total blast!

Rafted down the river for just over 2 hours, class 3 trip. River was at about 3 1/2 feet, considered middle ground for runoff. A couple weeks ago it was higher/faster, probably would have shaved 30 minutes off the trip due to faster water.

I'll definitely try this again, and work up to the full day trip with higher class rapids.

Nobody fell out of our boat, another was not so lucky. Guy wasn't injured, but by the time they got him to shore, he was too cold and tired to continue, so rode the bus back down.

We were the last boat in our group unfortunately, the first couple saw a black bear near the river. We didn't see it :-(

Couple pics of the fun!

For shits and grins, we should dress that way to go down the Brazos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      For shits and grins, we should dress that way to go down the Brazos.
      haha, sitting up straight vigilantly watching the placid water screaming commands.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        haha, sitting up straight vigilantly watching the placid water screaming commands.

If you're lucky enough to not be walking...

Looks like fun! I've got to try that some time.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          If you're lucky enough to not be walking...

Looks like fun! I've got to try that some time.
          yeah no shit, hopefully with all this rain the early summer river rides may just involve a scraped butt.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

yeah no shit, hopefully with all this rain the early summer river rides may just involve a scraped butt.

Only rookies get a tube without a bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Only rookies get a tube without a bottom!
              hahaha

Comment

Rafting is a blast. I've done it 4 times on the Taylor River out of Almont. Year before last, we got stuck on a rock and nearly flipped the boat. My cousin, her fiancé, and our guide all fell in. Everybody had a good time with it, although the guide was less than happy. They have to file a report and it is pretty frowned upon any time they have someone go overboard.

I'd love to step it up to legit class 5 stuff one of these days. Not sure what hoops you have to jump through, but I did notice that the Class 5 trips I looked at require previous Class 5 experience. Seems like a catch 22.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Rafting is a blast. I've done it 4 times on the Taylor River out of Almont. Year before last, we got stuck on a rock and nearly flipped the boat. My cousin, her fiancé, and our guide all fell in. Everybody had a good time with it, although the guide was less than happy. They have to file a report and it is pretty frowned upon any time they have someone go overboard.

I'd love to step it up to legit class 5 stuff one of these days. Not sure what hoops you have to jump through, but I did notice that the Class 5 trips I looked at require previous Class 5 experience. Seems like a catch 22.
                  There are some really gnarly class 5's, so maybe those bad-as ones require a previous class 5 trip, just for the experience.

Our guide was kick ass. We went under a bridge that had some sort of singing waterbird, only type in N. America or something... So anyways, we went under the bridge backwards so we could see the nest and the babies in it. The other groups didn't, they tried to turn their heads, LOL.

Comment

"Forward paddle! Over-left!!! Over-Left!!!!!!! GET DOWN! back paddle! Hand me a Lone Star!"

Comment

I've rafted Brown's Canyon and Royal Gorge many times. I'd love to go again, if we can get a group together. I've always wanted to do the 3-4 day trips, but have never been able to generate enough interest. My friends aren't adventurous enough.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

That looks like fun!!!

I have seen the rafts go through the Royal Gorge once and it looked like a hoot !

How did you get the pics?

Comment

They have people set up along the way to get your pics and sell them to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                            That looks like fun!!!

I have seen the rafts go through the Royal Gorge once and it looked like a hoot !

How did you get the pics?
                            The bus driver took some, and they have a separate company called Pigeon Express Photography that sort of follows along in a car. They stop, climb up on a rock next to the river and take shots as you pass, drive further down river, do it again.

Back before digital cameras, they used a 35 MM camera and took homing pigeons with them. Put the film in a little pigeon backpack, pigeon flew home, film was developed around the time the bus was pulling in and you could purchase pictures.

They still have the pigeons, but do not use them for transporting film.

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            They have people set up along the way to get your pics and sell them to you.
                            Yup! We bought the CD with 40 pics for $40. I thought they were pretty cheap (compared to a lot of touristy places). An 8x10 was like $6 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                              Yup! We bought the CD with 40 pics for $40. I thought they were pretty cheap (compared to a lot of touristy places). An 8x10 was like $6 I think.
                              That's not bad at all. The trip I go on, they just have 1 or 2 different shots to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                              X