Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hunt4m3x View Post
    Bust out another thousand.
    That could be said for everything I own, including my dog!
    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
      That could be said for everything I own, including my dog!
      Yeah, it's actually getting to be a little old. Granted, you CAN spend thousands - hell I have so far this year - but not really on my boat. Mainly for fishing gear.

Still, there are a lot of ways to do things on the cheap.

Hell, for that matter if it costs me 1000-2000 a year to enjoy the boat - I'll pay it, since it is worth it. I just think once I get the boat outfitted the way I want that cost will decrease. Once it is out of warranty, servicing/mechanic work is going to go to locals from TFF.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
        Easy rebuild on that motor. If you can take it apart, you can put it back together. Parts are very reasonable.
        Last one i had done pistons where a bit over 100.00 each, rings where 30 per, and if it needs bored. I bought a power pack from a socalled dealer and found out the hard way it was not a true Evinrude part. pos was firing out of time and burnt up a piston. I went with a total rebuild, 30 over bore. was well over 1500 for a 115 hp . But when you price a new motor its not so hard to pay for a good rebuild. New one was well over 10k
        I went and bought a service manual thinking I could do it my self, Way to many sepecial tools and shit I know nothing about. Im not afraid to tare in to a car motor, but boat motors are a different breed, two cycle is a new ball game for me.

Comment

Slap a trolling motor and a couple batteries on that thing and hit the water

Comment

There are many ways to rebuild an outboard engine and most of the dealers around here will have you spending big bucks $1500.00 - $2500.00 to do it for you.... and that's too much to spend on a boat/motor/trailer that only worth $2500.00 (if you're lucky) to begin with.

Probably what has happened is a ring broke on that cylinder and got up on top of the piston and beat it all to hell. The other 3 cylinders are probably still OK... you can likely get by with honing & replacing the only one piston if the cylinder wall is not badly damaged. If it's really scarred up, you can bore only the one cylinder and use an over-sized piston in that one hole.

MY point is, the engine is not worth spending big bucks on to completely overhaul it,
            repair the existing damage at a reasonable cost and get it back on the water for some
            Summer time fun.

btw... before you spend the first penny, check the compression on all cylinders and check the ignition system for proper spark... no sense in spending the money to replace a piston only to find it needs 800.00 more dollars in stator/trigger/power packs to get it going. Aftermarket parts are fine in this application... Sierra marine is a great brand sold at NAPA if you don't have another source for marine parts.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
              Those older evinrudes are tough suckers
              Bulletproof.

Had one on my 76 Starcraft, it could pull a skier almost as good as it pulled tail...

Comment

Working...
              X