Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random scale project to work on my modeling skills.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
    I admire your skills, but you have waaay to much time on your hands. Tell your wife to put out more.
    LOL, she's been working a lot lately, End of the month gets crazy busy in the mortgage business. That and my kid is old enough where she likes to play on her own most of the time. If I'm not doing this stuff I'd be vegging out on couch watching TV, on the computer, or spending money.
    Originally posted by ceyko View Post
    Was thinking the same thing about time - I'm jealous to be honest about it.
    Model building is therapeutic to me, some people see a shrink, or drink heavily. Me I just build small shit. I can sit there and loose myself in the details, after a minute I'll forget about whatever is bothering me. It keeps my blood pressure down.
    I build shit whenever I have down time. I built these on my lunch breaks at work. I end up throwing away a lot of stuff I build because the only purpose it serves it being built.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
      LOL, she's been working a lot lately, End of the month gets crazy busy in the mortgage business. That and my kid is old enough where she likes to play on her own most of the time. If I'm not doing this stuff I'd be vegging out on couch watching TV, on the computer, or spending money.

Model building is therapeutic to me, some people see a shrink, or drink heavily. Me I just build small shit. I can sit there and loose myself in the details, after a minute I'll forget about whatever is bothering me. It keeps my blood pressure down.
      I build shit whenever I have down time. I built these on my lunch breaks at work. I end up throwing away a lot of stuff I build because the only purpose it serves it being built.
      Are you in jail? lol jk... since opening our own insurance agency closer to home, it has cut down commute by 80 miles a day so I have more time to let me creativity run wild. I'm working on some drawings and some paintings for my daughters room and whatever else I may have time for. Also try to make at least one Halloween prop every year.
      Allstate Insurance
      Dominguez Agency
      1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
      Arlington, TX. 76018
      817-405-2011
      tdominguez@allstate.com
      Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

When I was a kid, I used to watch the show on Discovery called Movie Magic every time it came on. I became obsessed with the Idea of working in special effects. I dreamt of moving back to Cali, and working in the movies. But when everything started going CGI, I lost interest. I still love making scale replicas of things, and sometimes blowing them up too.
        One of my brothers got lucky by getting a PA gig through a friend of my step-dads. First movie was Volcano (1997). He was actually a miniature unit assistant. I was a cunt hair from getting on to that movie too, but still had like 2 months left in the Army. Tried to get out a little early but got shot down. He ended up staying in the business for about 6 years until the breaks between projects started getting too long and 15 - 20 hour days got too old, and he went back to a normal 8-5. This is his Filmography (copy - paste from IMDB):

Special Effects (12 titles)
        2003 The Last Samurai
        1998-2002 The X-Files (TV series)
        2002 We Were Soldiers
        2001 Megiddo: The Omega Code 2
        2001 Rock Star
        2001 Monkeybone
        2000 Charlie's Angels
        2000 Rules of Engagement
        1999 The General's Daughter
        1998 The Siege
        1998 The X Files (Movie)
        1997 Alien: Resurrection

Visual Effects (1 title)
        1997 Volcano

Thanks (1 title)
        2000 Getting G'd Up (video documentary short) (special thanks)

Unfortunately for him, with the exception of a couple of the movies, he mostly worked out of their shop in Hollywood. So he did not get to go on location. Just stuff / portions filmed on the studio lots. Plus, he was pretty big into computers, so a lot of his time he was serving as the computer / network guy at the company's shop.

He is awesome with models though.. Even helped my other brother out during a copyright infringement lawsuit by making a working model of a front end loader garbage truck.

When I was in the Army he made me a bad ass Humvee Model (I drove one at the time).. Bought a cheapie snap together and modified the shit out of it, even down to scale MRE cases in the back and everything.. Sadly, it got crushed on one of my moves and my ex ended up trashing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stng5Pnt8 View Post
          Are you in jail? lol jk... since opening our own insurance agency closer to home, it has cut down commute by 80 miles a day so I have more time to let me creativity run wild. I'm working on some drawings and some paintings for my daughters room and whatever else I may have time for. Also try to make at least one Halloween prop every year.
          I know what you mean, I used to work 10-12hr days and have 3hrs in the car on top of that. Now I'm an 8hr a day guy and live 3 1/2 miles from work. Thats 7hrs a day I didn't have before.
          I think I'm going to go crazy this halloween!
          Originally posted by Chili View Post
          One of my brothers got lucky by getting a PA gig through a friend of my step-dads. First movie was Volcano (1997). He was actually a miniature unit assistant. I was a cunt hair from getting on to that movie too, but still had like 2 months left in the Army. Tried to get out a little early but got shot down. He ended up staying in the business for about 6 years until the breaks between projects started getting too long and 15 - 20 hour days got too old, and he went back to a normal 8-5. This is his Filmography (copy - paste from IMDB):

Special Effects (12 titles)
          2003 The Last Samurai
          1998-2002 The X-Files (TV series)
          2002 We Were Soldiers
          2001 Megiddo: The Omega Code 2
          2001 Rock Star
          2001 Monkeybone
          2000 Charlie's Angels
          2000 Rules of Engagement
          1999 The General's Daughter
          1998 The Siege
          1998 The X Files (Movie)
          1997 Alien: Resurrection

Visual Effects (1 title)
          1997 Volcano

Thanks (1 title)
          2000 Getting G'd Up (video documentary short) (special thanks)

Unfortunately for him, with the exception of a couple of the movies, he mostly worked out of their shop in Hollywood. So he did not get to go on location. Just stuff / portions filmed on the studio lots. Plus, he was pretty big into computers, so a lot of his time he was serving as the computer / network guy at the company's shop.

He is awesome with models though.. Even helped my other brother out during a copyright infringement lawsuit by making a working model of a front end loader garbage truck.

When I was in the Army he made me a bad ass Humvee Model (I drove one at the time).. Bought a cheapie snap together and modified the shit out of it, even down to scale MRE cases in the back and everything.. Sadly, it got crushed on one of my moves and my ex ended up trashing it.
          Thats cool as hell man, I'd love to see some of his models.

Comment

Well, just to keep the a/c side still going, a video clip for ya!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZowexXfK_Ao[/ame]
            Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Thats cool as hell man, I'd love to see some of his models.
              I went to see if he had pics of any on FB but doesn't look like he ever uploaded any. He was big into building and modifying them before getting into the movies though. That Humvee he made for me was back in around 1994. He has always done a lot of different craft stuff.. Lately he spends a lot of his time making furniture for his house.

Comment

I hope to one day make something useful. lol

Comment

more work done.

Comment

**Insert Applause**

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

You have substantial patience. Cool build.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LNn...e_gdata_player

You have substantial patience. Cool build.
                        Damnit man, I have done everything in my power to forget that movie.... Thanks ass hole!

Comment

Epic "Big Bang Theory" reference!
                          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                            Epic "Big Bang Theory" reference!
                            lol, ya the kid loves that damn song, and makes me sing it with her. When I surprised her with the poster she was so excited you would think I got her a poney!!

Comment

"I've got too much time on my hands....too much time on my hands"

That is cool. Looks like a lot of work but it is probably a breeze for someone who is prolific in this practice.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                                "I've got too much time on my hands....too much time on my hands"

That is cool. Looks like a lot of work but it is probably a breeze for someone who is prolific in this practice.
                                It's time consuming for sure, but heck I just knoced out both my couch and love seat in less than 10min.
                                I'll paint them tonight, and put them in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X