My new to me 1995 rx7 with a LS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
    I don't see how that is possible. The addition of a cam, valves, heads and then you are gong from a 1.3L to a 6.162L engine and A crank that's 3x the size.
    I can and have removed a couple 12A and 13B motors from an RX-7 with a friend using no hoist. Sure as hell cant do that with ANY LS engine.

So how is the weight about the same? You are talking an increase of 230+ lbs even though the AC system was removed. Then you have an RX7 that was built to be super nimble to corner well that now has an extra 200+ lbs up front which has now destroyed the cars original 50/50 weight distribution.

The OP also states that the car is heavier. He said its a 2800lb car now. They were 2500 when new. I'm not good on the math stuffs but 2800 is more than 2500, no?
    Turbos and the associated plumbing are heavy, it's as simple as that.

Comment

Meh, its a cool car with the V8. Id drive the shit out of it with a Rotary or an LS but I would insist on having an AC installed.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Nice car! I'd been considering a Miata/5.0 swap but I think the RX-7 is sooo much sexier. Nice buy! Love the CCW Classics on this car.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
          I don't see how that is possible. The addition of a cam, valves, heads and then you are gong from a 1.3L to a 6.162L engine and A crank that's 3x the size.
          I can and have removed a couple 12A and 13B motors from an RX-7 with a friend using no hoist. Sure as hell cant do that with ANY LS engine.

So how is the weight about the same? You are talking an increase of 230+ lbs even though the AC system was removed. Then you have an RX7 that was built to be super nimble to corner well that now has an extra 200+ lbs up front which has now destroyed the cars original 50/50 weight distribution.

The OP also states that the car is heavier. He said its a 2800lb car now. They were 2500 when new. I'm not good on the math stuffs but 2800 is more than 2500, no?

This argument was settled with facts about 10 years ago. Marginal weight gain on finished swaps compared to stock. I even know a really dedicated open-track guy who was one of the die-hard rotary guys that went LS about 6-7 years ago on his track car.
          US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Some of y'all might remember mikes Rx-7. His had a ls6 swap back in the day.. It was white with plates that said ls6rx7

"PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Johnc View Post
                i was down there tonight
                sweet! ya it was either him or another red RX-7 with a v8 in it....sounded good

Comment

Originally posted by Johnc View Post
                  Some guy makes the a/c kit for the ls motor in these cars. A/c is the next mod for sure
                  Great idea, that car rocks dude! I love it. We need to find a good place to do a lower roll. 20-30mph should be fun for both of us

Originally posted by rusty shackleford View Post
                  how does it handle compared to the rotary? i'm guessing its very nose heavy?
                  They are similar weight
                  -1997 Supra- mid 8 second street car
                  -1993 Cobra- 700rw
                  -2012 CTS-V- 9 second daily driver
                  -1991 Coupe- LSA/TT/4L80 in the making
                  -2007 GSXR 1000- built turbo bike

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                    Talk about a blast from the past, I haven't seen that car in forever, Does it still run the times it did back 6 years ago
                    Man that reminds me of my old car. I've been looking for that thing wondering what happened to it. It was a sonic blue 96 that had a mach 1 motor in it and parchment interior. Last I heard it was in the DFW area and running some good numbers on the bottle. Sorry to hi-jack the thread, just brought back memories.

Comment

• Baddass car man, I pulled up next to you earlier at Medical Center Dr and 399 in the factory five. Where were yall headed?
                      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X