Bad Day for a Bugatti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Day for a Bugatti

One of the risks associated with vintage car racing is damaging a rare, priceless piece of automotive history, but we're pretty sure that one recent participant is just happy to be alive. Edmund Burgess, of Lavenham, UK, was participating in the Prescott Speed Hill Climb in Gloucestershire, UK when, according to Car Buzz, the brakes reportedly failed on his 1924 Bugatti Type 13 causing it to go off course and roll over.

..or, how to screw up your $400,000 car. Ouch.

One of the risks associated with vintage car racing is damaging a rare, priceless piece of automotive history, but we're pretty sure that one recent participant is just happy to be alive. Edmund Burgess, of Lavenham, UK, was participating in the Prescott Speed Hill Climb in Gloucestershire, UK when, according to Car Buzz, the brakes reportedly failed on his 1924 Bugatti Type 13 causing it to go off course and roll over.

With an open cockpit on the car, all that was protecting Burgess were a helmet, goggles and a jacket, and while the video shows that his head came very close to making contact with the wall and ground, and that he was briefly trapped under the car, he fortunately didn't suffer any serious injuries.

Too bad the same can't be said for the Bugatti. The vintage racer, worth an estimated 250,000 British pounds (about $390,000 US), was heavily damaged, but the report says that Burgess is determined to get it fixed and racing again in just eight weeks. So what does a racer do after crashing his rare sports car and live to race another day? Probably the same thing we'd all do. Grab a beer. The video of the crash is posted below.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Am I the only one that missed the seagulls?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

i thought this was going to be about the bugatti name being used in every cut rate rap song thats put out these days.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I woke up in a new bugattiiiiiii!!!!!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

I'm really surprised the car went out of control and rolled. I would have thought that with the stability control and the overly wide track width and huge racing tires that it might have just skid a little and recovered. It's also odd to me that the front and side impact air bags did not deploy to offer him some extra protection. It's a good thing the 5 point safety harness kept him well secured into the racing seat, and it appears the cage did it's job in protecting him from a roof collapse.

Dudes pretty fortunate he didn't get his melon crushed.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
            I'm really surprised the car went out of control and rolled. I would have thought that with the stability control and the overly wide track width and huge racing tires that it might have just skid a little and recovered. It's also odd to me that the front and side impact air bags did not deploy to offer him some extra protection. It's a good thing the 5 point safety harness kept him well secured into the racing seat, and it appears the cage did it's job in protecting him from a roof collapse.

Dudes pretty fortunate he didn't get his melon crushed.
            Wut?
            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Saw that last week and it made me cringe. More for the car than the guy driving it. lol

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                Wut?
                Sarcasm meter broken?
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  Sarcasm meter broken?
                  Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
                    I woke up in a porta pottyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                      Ftfy
                      lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                        Ftfy
                        Sees no difference in ride quality

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                          Sarcasm meter broken?
                          Must be.
                          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            am i the only one that missed the seagulls?
                            lmao
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

All things considered, the damage isn't that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X