Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I've been working on.. 1980 toyota 4x4

Started with a 1980 toyota pickup..

here's how it sits now.. the cage is about 80% now, still got the engine cage and stinger and door bars and a little more triangulation to do, and all the gussets. i figured i'd paint it and see what it looked like. looks pretty cool i think.

When i get back from offshore in another week i'm picking up a set of 39.5 Iroks. Hoping to get the cage completely finished, seat mounts done and do a tuneup on the motor. I'm still on the hunt for a dual case setup, and suspension. I'm hoping to have it ready for the trails by the end of april.
    http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Looks like a home made 4 x 4 station wagon.

Comment

lol.. yeah i think most people arent too impressed with it so far, but i think once all the seats are in and tires are on it, it'll make more sense. i built it more for function over looks. if i end up not liking it old toyota pickup bodies are a dime a dozen and i'll just cut the cage off and start over.

Comment

needs fender flares

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          needs fenders
          Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            Fixed.
            i was referring to the front. don't know what the hell he is doing in the back.

Comment

Next time keep the cab & do an exoskeleton, bobbed flat bed in the back.
              Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

its a truggy. part truck, part buggy. The front has been dovetailed and i actually was planning on running bed sides on the back but i couldnt find a cheap enough bed and i really didnt feel like putting a bunch of effort into mounting bedsides to the cage just to have it get ripped off within a couple of months of wheeling. This thing is just for offroading which y'all dont seem to comprehend.. lol its a 4 seater and thats why its got kind of an suv look to the cage.

Comment

fuck exo's. i hate that style.. i've always built trucks with internal cages and just beat the shit out of them until they were toast and then cut the bodies off, and i decided to do something different this time around. The idea is to be able to bring my 2 kids along, and i wanted something different then the typical 4runner which i've already had a ton of.

Comment

Haters gonna hate, I think it is cool and would cruise it all over town when the weather is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
                      This thing is just for offroading which y'all dont seem to comprehend.. lol .
                      That's not a street bike or a race car in my avatar. I have lots of friends with fully custom trail rigs, 1 ton axles, extended drivelines front & rear, bobbed, dovetailed, blah blah blah. I get what you're going for, I just saw your original truck & typed out what popped in to my head for what I'D like to have/see.
                      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

I gotcha.. i'm used to Pirate4x4 and people bagging on shit just to be assholes. I didnt take offense to anything said. I'm just bored out here on the rig while they change out DSA's on the BOP stack and figured i'd share what i'd been up to. I know the finished product won't be everybody's favorite but as long as it's functional and does what i want it to, i'll be happy. I only have about 3k into it so far including the 39.5's i'm picking up next week. The axles are fully trussed/built with 6 shooters, flanges and Longfields so it'll be interesting to see how it all holds up to the 4D's. I'm kind of expecting to break a Tcase output, but i have spare cases and if i do break i'll spring for 23 spline upgrades.

Comment

Well, havent updated this in a while. Since the last time I posted, we got everything moved into our new lakehouse near Belton, and between fixing up the house and working a shit ton offshore, the yota has been sitting sadly very neglected. lol. I figured it was time to get crackin' on it again. Got a used set of 37 inch SSRs for pretty cheap, and some Marlin 4" springs and some other stuff. Right now the truck is sitting on all 4s, and I'm working on swapping out the old 4spd and single case for a w56 and dual cases. Still trying to decide how I want to go with the transfer case cross member.. I need to get a new clutch kit before I stab the new drivetrain in though. LOL

Once I get the new drivetrain and crossmember in place, I'll be able to start working on the seat mounts and floor pans. Once I have all that done, I just have a few more things to do on the cage and it'll be ready for a test run at HF.

Comment

Working...
                          X