Who knows full size Blazers/Jimmys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows full size Blazers/Jimmys?

Im looking for a project up to $4000 to tinker with and pull to Colorado.

Any certain things to watch out for on these? (Years 73-98)

Im looking for rust and mechanical issues currently among others.

Any issues you see with this one?

Originally posted by SMKR View Post

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=35441597616
    Shit I've got one for ya. Pretty low mile edlebrock performer crate, and low mile front and rear ends rebuilds. Literally have $7,000 in receipts from the PO.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=35441597616
        same issues you'd expect to find in any old truck...rust in the rockers, quarter panels, doors, fenders. Especially ones from rainy or snowy climates. Mechanically they're not any different than any other old Chevy truck. Maintain it and it'll damn near RN forever and parts are cheap and everywhere. I love K5s We bought one for $800, drove it around for a year and the only thing wrong with it was the driver power window motor quit working and the AC didn't ever have a belt on it but hell it probably worked too. And the hardtops are heavy and a PITA to get on and off
        --Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
          Year? Engine? Any more pics? Price?

Comment

Well I dont know mutch about the older ones but you wanna steer clear of the late 80's early 90's ones. Lots of electrical gremlins and the intake system made the 350 a turd. Now if you are gonna swap motors then who cares. I have worked on many 95-99 (OBS) ones and they are pretty rock solid mechanical wise.
            They all seem to like to leak a drop or two from the rear main but its such a PITA job, if it aint spewing then leave it alone.
            All parts are easy to get and dirt cheap so that a plus. Be weary of ones that hesitate to go into reverse because that indicates the trans is on its last legs. They are easy to find though.

Things that like to break are door handles, tail light circuits, passenger dash vents and mirror housings. Other then that they are pretty solid. I have a 96 Silverado which shares everything but the body and can tell you the truck is by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Just sold this 97 for $2000 so there are good deals out there. This truck only needed an alignment when I sold it but was as reliable as they come otherwise.
            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Edelbrock Performer 350.
              Here's a link to the ad
              Fully Assembled and Ready to Run Proven performance right out of the box with high-quality Edelbrock components. Based on new GM SBC short blocks.

It's an '86. Like I said, the drivetrain is all new. I have a rebuild receipts from Fort Worth gear and axle for the front and rear end. Dude paid something like $2,000 that.

Original color is gray, had it done in this blue, which is actually pretty decent.
              It really needs carpet, the power windows are slow, and it needs a new condenser for the A/C to work. But you said you want to tinker!
              I just installed a fresh Holley Truck avenger to get rid of the edelbrock carb.

Solid drive train, interior needs a couple things.

It's not as nice as that ebay one you posted, but that reserve isnt met, and it's going to go up in price.
              I just looked at the folder. I have $9,300 in receipts for new stuff. Say $3,300. Come get it in waco.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Try to find the last year solid axle full size blazer, 1991 I think. These had TBI and a 700R4 trans.

Or for $4k you can get a nice '95-96 bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                  Well I dont know mutch about the older ones but you wanna steer clear of the late 80's early 90's ones. Lots of electrical gremlins and the intake system made the 350 a turd. Now if you are gonna swap motors then who cares. I have worked on many 95-99 (OBS) ones and they are pretty rock solid mechanical wise.
                  They all seem to like to leak a drop or two from the rear main but its such a PITA job, if it aint spewing then leave it alone.
                  All parts are easy to get and dirt cheap so that a plus. Be weary of ones that hesitate to go into reverse because that indicates the trans is on its last legs. They are easy to find though.

Things that like to break are door handles, tail light circuits, passenger dash vents and mirror housings. Other then that they are pretty solid. I have a 96 Silverado which shares everything but the body and can tell you the truck is by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Just sold this 97 for $2000 so there are good deals out there. This truck only needed an alignment when I sold it but was as reliable as they come otherwise.

Uh, that's not a jimmy or blazer. And 91 older would be removable top/ solid front axle. Apples to oranges.

(I assume 4wd since the op is taking it to Colorado.)

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
                    Uh, that's not a jimmy or blazer. And 91 older would be removable top/ solid front axle. Apples to oranges.

(I assume 4wd since the op is taking it to Colorado.)
                    Did he not say "73-98"? I know what the older K5s are. I also know thet the Jimmy/Blazer became the S10 based SUVs in the 90s and can see he is refering to the full size vehicle. Soooo, the 97 Taho I showed falls near what he was talking about.

Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                      Did he not say "73-98"? I know what the older K5s are. I also know thet the Jimmy/Blazer became the S10 based SUVs in the 90s and can see he is refering to the full size vehicle. Soooo, the 97 Taho I showed falls near what he was talking about.

Right, I didn't read well enough either. But, the op asked about blazers and jimmys from 73 to ... As project to take to Colorado presumably to use in the mountains located in that state.. You posted a 97 2wd Tahoe that more or less is not a mountain ride that would be fun to tinker with. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
                        Right, I didn't read well enough either. But, the op asked about blazers and jimmys from 73 to ... As project to take to Colorado presumably to use in the mountains located in that state.. You posted a 97 2wd Tahoe that more or less is not a mountain ride that would be fun to tinker with. Just saying
                        But you missed my point all together. I was answering his question as to issues with ones we are familiar with. I am familiar with the latter generation ones so shared my experience. Me showing that white one that I sold for so cheap was to show you can get a clean late model one with no issues for pretty cheap. 4wd only adds 20-40% added value in them.

Comment

Guess i should have been more specific.

Jimmy/blazer 73-9?

Then 2 door yukon/blazer until '98

And yea, 4x4 is a must.

My only question-

The link to the white one in my original post- owner offered it to me tonight for a price i really liked. But-

1. Shouldnt it have emblems on both sides and body molding?
                          2. Is that rust starting in the back where the tailgate is down where it looks like the rear tires kicked up spray?

Comment

I had a 91 last year of sfa. The difs are weak. I broke both on 35s. Otherwise they are great. A lot of red and blue interiors In these

Comment

1. It has emblems on both sides. The side trim was optional. Usually only the two tone ones got it.
                              2. It appears to be rust. You can also see rust on the tailgate. But considering where its at you have to expect rust.

Comment

Working...
                              X