No announcement yet.

fatal air crash video released 25 years after it happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eerie video, my father was FAC, flew the (0-2) back in 68-70. He loved it..
    -k

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Shit, where are you finding $6-$9k? Or are you referring to $6-$9k for just a single engine rating? I've looked into getting my single engine and instrument rating which was $15-$17k through a school, and about $12k through a buddy with a CFI that owns a plane.
      $6k-$9k should get you a SEL PPL. The big name schools are a rip off.

40 hours * $120/hr = $4, 800
      Instructor is going to be about $35/hr for 20 hours =$700

Total $5, 500 plus books, headset, med card, and checkrides. Easily less that $7k if done right.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Comment

And it cost me maybe another $2k to do my instrument. Gotta be smart about it... no big schools, no fancy ass planes, build time with another pilot and split the cost, and anytime you fly, make it a XC flight.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Brn N Rubr View Post
          Sweet. I just earned mine in May. Waiting on my school to finish their VA approval so I can start using my GI bill to earn more ratings.
          I was able to complete mine for right at $7,000. That included everything (books, written exam, and check ride fees). What helped me the most was being able to do everything right at minimums. I took my checkride right at 40 hours (soloed at less than 8).

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number. I used Huffman Aviation out of Fort Worth Spinks. You can get into a 150/152 for $85/hr wet there.

Comment

Took me about $9k to get mine. But that was in a C172 skyhawk G1000. $135/hr. Can be done cheaper as stated above.
            00 GT
            Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Hell I don't even think I can fit into a 172. This shit is going to be expensive. Diet first.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If you can fit into a vette, you can fit into a 172.
                Last edited by CJ; 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                Originally posted by Denny
                What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Yeah, the salesman at the dodge dealership told me that about Vipers, haha (it was a devastating lie).
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                    What min/sec was the point of no return in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                      Density Altitude is a bitch. When I saw the DA was <13,000ft I was like, WTF was he thinking in an L-19??
                      Can you explain da and that altitude?

Comment

DA (density altitude) is what altitude ASL (above sea level) that it "feels" like. A high DA in relation to the true altitude has a dramatic affect on an aircraft's performance. In addition to reduced engine power (lots of power lost on a naturally aspirated piston engine), the flight control surfaces have a harder time "biting" the air.
                        Basically, a high relative DA makes everything about the aircraft perform worse.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

What is sad is that there are so few people learning to fly these days. I read that PPL's are down over 80% in the last several years.
                          I am a CFII MEI ATP and 7 type ratings. Full aerobatic instructor in various AC. My CFI has expired. The liability in just not worth my job at AA. I do fly a friends Boeing-Stearman Model 75 from time to time. I have access to a 182 and a 58 Baron as well. That is the only recips that I fly. I have always wanted to add a rotocraft rating to my license.

I highly advise getting your PPL, you will never regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                            DA (density altitude) is what altitude ASL (above sea level) that it "feels" like. A high DA in relation to the true altitude has a dramatic affect on an aircraft's performance. In addition to reduced engine power (lots of power lost on a naturally aspirated piston engine), the flight control surfaces have a harder time "biting" the air.
                            Basically, a high relative DA makes everything about the aircraft perform worse.
                            You are aware that you can have a high DA at low altitude right. DA is not dependent on altitude. Is is a result of temperature AND altitude.

1)Find the ISA temperature at the alt in question
                            2) Work out the difference between actual temp and ISA temp
                            3) adjust the alt by 120ft for every 1deg deviation from ISA temp.
                            4) add/subtract 3) from pressure alt 1) to get density alt.
                            DA = PA + (120 Vt)
                            -> density alt = pressure alt +/- (120ft x temp deviation from ISA)

Comment

I'm fully aware of that. I never said you couldn't. As critical as the DA is for fixed-wings, it is even more critical in the rotary wing world. Operating near, or at sea level, it's nothing to see a DA of several hunded, or even over 1000 feet when it's hot.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                                I'm fully aware of that. I never said you couldn't. As critical as the DA is for fixed-wings, it is even more critical in the rotary wing world. Operating near, or at sea level, it's nothing to see a DA of several hunded, or even over 1000 feet when it's hot.
                                Gotcha, much clearer.

Comment

Working...
                                X