Plasti-dipped my wheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasti-dipped my wheels...

What do you think? You can keep the "black wheels are played out" shit to yourselves if that's all you've go to say, though. It came out about as good as I expected. I have no disappointment in the product, only in my craftsmanship. The first and last wheel are unevenly coated so a couple spots on the inside edges look dark gray. Overall I think it turned out pretty good for $20 worth of paint and A LOT of sweat.

I couldn't figure out what to do with the center caps. Any suggestions? The chrome Mazda emblem is clipped into the center cap, but not without breaking the tabs and having to be super glued back in. I decided to leave that project for another day. Anyone have any opinions on what should be done with the center caps? I kinda like the way the silver center breaks up the black a little bit in combination with the chrome lug nuts. I also want to remove the body side moulding at some point.

i say leave them and the lug nuts the way they are, like you said it breaks up all the black. i would darken that side marker/indicator just a little bit to see how it looks

looks good either way

Comment

I like it. I'll be interested in long it holds up. I love that stuff but was afraid to do it on wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
        i say leave them and the lug nuts the way they are, like you said it breaks up all the black. i would darken that side marker/indicator just a little bit to see how it looks

looks good either way
        Thanks. I plan on smoking all the lights, that's the next project. I'm gonna make britty-ann so proud!
        Originally posted by CWO View Post
        I like it. I'll be interested in long it holds up. I love that stuff but was afraid to do it on wheels.
        I have several people interested in how long it holds up. This took ~1.5 cans of the stuff, at $6 a pop, so if it doesn't hold up it's not a big loss. The wheels have all kinds of rash on them from the previous owner, so I figured even if it kills the finish it's no big deal. If I remember, I'll post up in a few months to let everyone know how it's holding up. I do have a friend that has a Tacoma who did his wheels about 8 months ago, and it's still going strong.

Comment

Looks good. Might as well spray the all the lights with the tinted clear stuff.

edit: You just posted that you are.

Comment

Looks good.
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I was thinking about doing this on my fusions wheels and emblems. But i dont trust myself. lol
              GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

Originally posted by BttleFedC10 View Post
                I was thinking about doing this on my fusions wheels and emblems. But i dont trust myself. lol
                It's really easy to do. Remove wheel, take off center cap, tape up valve stem, tape off around tire, spray to desired coverage.

I will add one caveat... If you don't tape off the lug holes, then you need to get an x-acto knife and cut around the inner edge of the lug holes, otherwise when you're torquing down the lugs, it will start to twist the coating, which will in turn start to pull off the coating and you can fuck it up REALLY quick. That didn't happen to me, because luckily I learned from a friend's mistake

Comment

No sanding needed?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    No sanding needed?
                    Nope, google some youtube videos on it. It just sprays on and then when you get tired of it it peals right back off.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      Nope, google some youtube videos on it. It just sprays on and then when you get tired of it it peals right back off.
                      This. The only prep you have to do is clean the wheel and tape off whatever you don't want to get it on. You can get it in different colors online, but the local stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) only carry it in black. By the way, I had to go to five different stores to find it as it was sold out everywhere.

Comment

I like!!
                        Ded

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                          I like!!
                          Thanks man!

As soon as I can figure out how to get the fucking Mazda emblems off, those will get done as well. None of the how-to's online are worth a shit, so I'll have to figure it out. It was WAY too hot in my garage yesterday to dick around with it anymore.

Comment

I dig it!

DipYourCar.com is your go-to resource for peelable auto paint, accessories, tutorials, and more! Browse our Dip Pearls, Plasti Dip? for sale, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              Thanks man!

As soon as I can figure out how to get the fucking Mazda emblems off, those will get done as well. None of the how-to's online are worth a shit, so I'll have to figure it out. It was WAY too hot in my garage yesterday to dick around with it anymore.
                              tape off the area and spray them while they are on the car. The Plasti-dip peels off the paint and stays on the emblem.

Comment

Working...
                              X