Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
      C'mon man. You have to give a guy time to get his job done. You can not rush the guy.

In a few weeks the guy is probably going to think, "well we are more than half way to the next Christmas so what the heck. Leave them up!!"
      trashy ass house, definitely the trashiest in that neighborhood. Thankfully they are no where near my neighborhood. One time I saw the lady get out of her car (which of course is a mercedes which is almost certainly out for repo) and throw an arm full of trash onto her front lawn, and walk into the house. I was pretty dumbfounded and said "you have to be fucking kidding me" loud enough for her to hear it. She gave me the stink eye. I just shook my head and laughed.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
        trashy ass house, definitely the trashiest in that neighborhood. Thankfully they are no where near my neighborhood. One time I saw the lady get out of her car (which of course is a mercedes which is almost certainly out for repo) and throw an arm full of trash onto her front lawn, and walk into the house. I was pretty dumbfounded and said "you have to be fucking kidding me" loud enough for her to hear it. She gave me the stink eye. I just shook my head and laughed.
        Cooper St. and Nathan Lowe area?

Comment

• Originally posted by ALLAN View Post
          What is it and where can I get one?!
          2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Show some.class with your language. Jiminy christmas

Comment

• Originally posted by johnny--2k View Post
              What is it and where can I get one?!
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Love me some coupes
                    Looks good minus the headlight and the paint bay.

Comment

• I like coupes, too.

This is CSX2287, the 'first' Daytona Coupe from a scene in Redline 7000.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• CSX2287 was the only Daytona built entirely by Shelby American in Venice CA.

The other bodies were built in Italy. Here you can see some of the subtle contour and shape differences between the first car and the five others. The Italians took the basic design and made some changes in the interest of "looking better." But CSX2287 was regarded as the fastest and best handling of them all.

Comment

• Here it is, being built.

Comment

• It was very successful in road racing for two years, and then Shelby retired the Cobra coupe and roadster programs to focus more on the GT40 and GT350/500 programs.

About this time, Craig Breedlove is setting jet-powered records on the salt at Bonneville. Breedlove is going back-and-forth with Art and Walt Arfons, all of them breaking each others' land speed records.

This account is from one of Breedlove's crewmen:

Originally posted by George Klass
                            I don't know what it's like at the salt flats now, but in the 1960's, if you didn't run for a LSR during Speed Week, you had to rent the salt from the state, Bureau of Land Management of Utah. When you rented it, you paid by the day, minimum of five days. First Firestone rented it (for Art Arfons) and then the next week, Goodyear rented it (for Breedlove and also for Walt Arfons). This went on pretty much all the time we were up there, toggling back and forth. If Goodyear had that week, Art could not run and vice versa. But there was a catch. If you did not actually run for a record, the other team could take your place. You couldn't just rent the salt for the week and sit around doing nothing, you had to run for a record of some sort.

That's how Lee Breedlove (Craig's wife) wound up setting a record for women drivers. We broke the record early in the week, set a LSR (555 mph I think) and we needed to do more runs or we would have to turn the salt over to Art.

It was late in October, we wanted it to start to rain. Once it starts to rain up there in late October or early November, it usually doesn't stop. The salt gets water sitting on it and it becomes saturated and un-raceable. (Everyone knows, do they not, that the salt flats is actually floating on a lake. The salt is only a few inches thick).

We were stalling, wanted it to rain before Art came back and took our record. Putting Lee in the car bought us time. But not enough time, as it turned out, we still had a couple of days left on our week.

Goodyear called up Shelby, asked him to send up a Cobra for us to run in a 5-mile circle. It was all part of "the big stall". The next day, on the back of an open trailer, one of Shelby's guys unloaded a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. Powered by a 289-inch SB Ford engine. The idea was for Breedlove and Bobby Tatroe (Walt Arfon's driver) to share driving duties and drive the car for 12 hours in a big circle, setting as many speed-duration records as possible.

This is the car that they brought, fresh off of some road race in Florida.

Up on the salt. The BLM laid out a five mile circle. Flat out and always turning left for 12 hours. If you think that was easy, you should try it sometime. Naturally, since everything was last minute, we were not prepared for fuel stops. We hand pumped the fuel from the 55-gallon drums into the fuel tank of the Cobra, during which time, Bobby and Craig switched off behind the wheel.

Here we are, pumping away, while Bobby is just coming in and Craig is getting ready to do the driver swap.

All that salt was not too kind to the little Cobra, which ran like a top all day, never even burned a quart of oil in all that thrashing.

All we wanted was the rain to begin, but it just kept holding off. Finally, we set a bunch of records (that nobody really cared about) and our time was up. The very next day, Art took to the salt and broke our LSR record (he went 576 mph). But on his return run for the record, he blew his right rear tire (or tires, I think he had tandem tires on the rear) and severely damaged his Green Monster. He was basically done for the 1965 season, too much damage to repair. Now it was up to Breedlove to re-set the record, which he did two days later. The first one-way run was 594 mph and then we turned the car around (it took about 40 minutes to turn it around and refuel both tanks) and started the return run. The rain had just started at that moment. We had the car backed up about as far back as we could go, to get the most run before going into the measured mile. By this time, the rain was really starting to come down. We fired up the engine and Breedlove was bringing up the rpm's, brakes locked on. As soon as the car started to move (sliding on the salt, not rolling, the brakes were on, remember), he released the brakes and activated the afterburner and he was off. 608 mph on the return run, and we had the record (601+ average) and even more important, because of the rain, that was the last run across the salt for 1965 and the salt flats were closed until the spring of 1966.

There is a funny ending to the story. The Cobra Daytona Coupe, what happened to it? It went through several hands and finally would up owned by (and there is some contention about this) Phil Spector.

Still had that same 289 Ford mill in it, too.

What he didn't tell you about the car, is that it was "lost" to history for 40 years after Phil Spector sold it. The woman that bought it locked it away in a storage unit and it wasn't seen again until her death... her suicide, actually... okay, the poor woman lit herself on fire. It's now the only unrestored Daytona Coupe and lives its life in a Museum in Philadelphia.

CSX2287 is also the first and ONLY car to be included in the permanent archives of the Library of Congress.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                                The door lock knob is the only thing holding her on.

Comment

Working...
                                X