• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 04mongoose View Post
    150, but yea when you only have 100 kts or so every one of them counts
    150 or 150 II? The II matters because it comes with a rearview mirror lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
      150 or 150 II? The II matters because it comes with a rearview mirror lol
      umm when it comes to the 150 there is a regular 150 and the 150 commuter. Mine is the commuter model. The differences they have are minimal. A 152 has a lot of differences. Its got a lycoming o-235 vs my continental 0-200. The 152 has doors that bulge out more for more room in the cockpit, different landing gear, rudder, cowling, and more. A 152 is a tad slower than a older lighter 150
      2004 TR Mustang Mach 1 RIP
      2003 DSG Mustang Mach 1
      2014 Race Red Shelby GT500

Comment

Anywhere from $8000-18000 depending on what aircraft, airport, school, etc. You can get it done in a few weeks or a few months. Its like college, how much time do you want to dedicate and how good do you want your education to be?
        So the few sites I found online that said around 5k is not practical?
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

• Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
          So the few sites I found online that said around 5k is not practical?
          I dont see it happening for a private license. Its going to take the average person 55-60 hours to get their private. So i dont see how you are going to find a plane to rent plus instructor for under 100 bucks an hour. Plus books and supplies. Its easily 8-10k in an old plane. If you do training in new glass cockpit stuff it can run you 150 an hour for the plane and 30-40 an hour for the instructor
          2004 TR Mustang Mach 1 RIP
          2003 DSG Mustang Mach 1
          2014 Race Red Shelby GT500

Comment

umm when it comes to the 150 there is a regular 150 and the 150 commuter. Mine is the commuter model. The differences they have are minimal. A 152 has a lot of differences. Its got a lycoming o-235 vs my continental 0-200. The 152 has doors that bulge out more for more room in the cockpit, different landing gear, rudder, cowling, and more. A 152 is a tad slower than a older lighter 150
            The commuter is the II, its just the 150 II model

Comment

I dont see it happening for a private license. Its going to take the average person 55-60 hours to get their private. So i dont see how you are going to find a plane to rent plus instructor for under 100 bucks an hour. Plus books and supplies. Its easily 8-10k in an old plane. If you do training in new glass cockpit stuff it can run you 150 an hour for the plane and 30-40 an hour for the instructor
              I agree with you, for the most part. I think you 're a little high, I think you can get it done for 6-8K if you stick with it, like you did. It's the folks that only fly once a week or less that end up spending more.

Either way, if someone wants to do it, do it ASAP. The costs of flying are only going up. Once you get it, it's easy to get current again, even if you don't fly for a while.

And you don't need to be rich, just wise with what you have. Example; A friend of mine would love to learn how to fly. He was looking into schools, checking costs. He was worried about the money, but it was looking like he could swing flying 2-3 hours a week. He got new car fever, went and bought a 2011 mustang. At over $1000 a month for payment and insurance, no more flying money! Just have to figure out what your priorities are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotortrash View Post
                I agree with you, for the most part. I think you 're a little high, I think you can get it done for 6-8K if you stick with it, like you did. It's the folks that only fly once a week or less that end up spending more.

Either way, if someone wants to do it, do it ASAP. The costs of flying are only going up. Once you get it, it's easy to get current again, even if you don't fly for a while.

And you don't need to be rich, just wise with what you have. Example; A friend of mine would love to learn how to fly. He was looking into schools, checking costs. He was worried about the money, but it was looking like he could swing flying 2-3 hours a week. He got new car fever, went and bought a 2011 mustang. At over $1000 a month for payment and insurance, no more flying money! Just have to figure out what your priorities are.
                Quality of education is also in question, ability to fly in Class B airspace, etc. I know tons of pilots who learned to fly out at G airports and they have no sense of radio etiquette, operations at a towered airport, etc. Its scary at times. I learned at Addison and I'm glad I did. I am perfectly comfortable landing between a couple 737s at Love Field.

Comment

• Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                  What all is involved in getting your pilots cert? It is something I to do/get before I turn 30 as I enjoy flying.

What is the typical cost, time, and all that jazz to get your cert?
                  Same question... Also how much is an entry level plane?

Comment

• Originally posted by pattymelt3605 View Post
                    Same question... Also how much is an entry level plane?
                    Entry level? What do you wanna do? Paper Cubs are cheap, but dont plan on going far, 150s are a little bit more but they are slightly more versatile. C172s are probably the most common general use aircraft and can be had for anywhere from $35k-200k. Beyond that it just goes up. Most people look into fractional or partnerships. You arent gonna fly all the time so splitting an aircraft with someone makes sense. One or two partners make the cost come down dramatically, and unless you plan to fly every weekend, its a good option

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                      Man I really want to get back into flying.

I've had to replace the windows on a UH1H, what a bitch. Especially the chin bubbles. The damn things never fit exactly.
                      iv done a few dozen on uh1w and uh1z they arent fun.. but try doing windows and doors on an ah1w it sucks
                      hell almost anything airframes wise on a cobra sucks compared to a huey though.. flight control issues are another thing all together, give me a huey anyday!
                      Last edited by matts5.0; 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM.
                      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Quality of education is also in question, ability to fly in Class B airspace, etc. I know tons of pilots who learned to fly out at G airports and they have no sense of radio etiquette, operations at a towered airport, etc. Its scary at times. I learned at Addison and I'm glad I did. I am perfectly comfortable landing between a couple 737s at Love Field.

Yes, I agree. Those pilots that learned out in the boonies suffered from bad instructors. I know several, as well, that can't navigate any kind of complex airspace, and they learned at big name schools here in the metroplex. I also know several that are the best pilots I know, that learned from farmer bob out in BFE.

It's all in the quality of instructor, no matter where you go.
                        Last edited by Rotortrash; 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Comment

Entry level? What do you wanna do? Paper Cubs are cheap, but dont plan on going far, 150s are a little bit more but they are slightly more versatile. C172s are probably the most common general use aircraft and can be had for anywhere from $35k-200k. Beyond that it just goes up. Most people look into fractional or partnerships. You arent gonna fly all the time so splitting an aircraft with someone makes sense. One or two partners make the cost come down dramatically, and unless you plan to fly every weekend, its a good option
                          Just recreational flying but something versatile would be nice. Looks like a 150 can be had for about $15,000?

Comment

Just recreational flying but something versatile would be nice. Looks like a 150 can be had for about $15,000?
                            That's probably going to be a high time airplane, with old radios. Bottle rocket is right, a 172 would be the way to go. It's a great airplane, 4 seats, and easy to re sell when the time comes. A musketeer like ours is also a great airplane, just not as well known as the cessnas are.

There are also several flying clubs in the area. You buy in, then pay a monthly fee for fixed expenses. You have a couple different airplanes to choose from, and you know who is flying them. A much better deal than a flight school.
                            Last edited by Rotortrash; 02-03-2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Depending on how big you are, you will easily over-gross a 150. I am 210lbs and I can barely take my girlfriend up with me with full tanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by DTM_Motorsports View Post
                                I used to paint planes here in Arkansas, same airport clintons brother ran dope and arms
                                out of with the CIA...

Still shady stuff goes on out there
                                is there a big market for pipe sealer and human limbs?
                                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                                X