New Brown Brake Fluid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brown Brake Fluid!

Had to change the master cylinder out in the Rover and I started to bleed the system and this came out...I'm flushing the whole system now....

That's what the clutch fluid in my vette looked like when I got it.

Comment

cool story bro

Comment

Not to be captain obvious but shouldn't you be bleeding the whole system anyways?

Comment

I need to flush my car and my bike. I try to make it a once a year occurrence especial on the bike.
          2004 Suzuki DL650
          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
            That's what the clutch fluid in my vette looked like when I got it.
            x2!

Comment

I know I know. Very cool story. I know it's not a guy excavating a basement with an RC car but I'd never seen brake fluid so bad.

Of course you bleed it when you mess with the master cylinder. Usually it only takes a couple pumps per wheel...I completely bled the whole system this time because it was so bad. It looked like mud.

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!....Jagermeister...does a woman drive this vehicle?

Comment

Haha surprisingly it has been all Rover guys before me.

Comment

About every pile of junk i work on has brake fluid like that.

Comment

Can someone please explain to me why anyone should care about the color of their brake fluid? It is just hydraulic fluid? I never quite understood this.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        Can someone please explain to me why anyone should care about the color of their brake fluid? It is just hydraulic fluid? I never quite understood this.
                        Brake fluid is hydroscopic in other words it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Generally the darker the fluid is the more moisture it has absorbed.

As you get more moisture in brake fluid the boiling point drops. Brand new DOT 3 fluid has a boiling point around 400 degrees IIRC. Moisture laden DOT 3 fluid has a boiling point around 240 I think. If you are driving aggressively on a road track or on a backroads you can quickly boil the fluid if it's wet which generates air bubbles in the system which makes for that spongy brake pedal feel. Not good for brake performance if your driving hard.

Sent from my iPhone
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                          Brake fluid is hydroscopic in other words it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Generally the darker the fluid is the more moisture it has absorbed.

As you get more moisture in brake fluid the boiling point drops. Brand new DOT 3 fluid has a boiling point around 400 degrees IIRC. Moisture laden DOT 3 fluid has a boiling point around 240 I think. If you are driving aggressively on a road track or on a backroads you can quickly boil the fluid if it's wet which generates air bubbles in the system which makes for that spongy brake pedal feel. Not good for brake performance if your driving hard.

Sent from my iPhone
                          learn new shit everyday.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post

Sent from my iPhone
                            i think this has got to be the best and most forward answer to any question ever on DFWM.

...the fuck!

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              learn new shit everyday.
                              have you never had to replace the clutch fluid in your c5?

Comment

Working...
                              X