Old Snap On top box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Snap On top box

Picked this up at the last LaGrave. Its a KRA-53 from 1963. Pretty cool it'll be 50 years old soon.

It was in good shape, so I planned to strip it, straighten it, and paint it.
    Took it too a sand blaster for an estimate, and he said he would blast, and powdercoat it for cheaper than I was expecting to pay for sand blasting alone. (quoted me $55, charged me $40)

Had 2 issues when I picked it up from powdercoat. He drilled two holes in all three drawers, and two holes in the bottom of the box, I assume to hang them while coating. To be honest, I wasn't too happy about it, especially since he didnt mention it. They're on the side of the drawers too, visible when the drawer is pulled out. Why not put them in the back of the drawers? Whatever.

Also, there is a spot on the handles where it looks like water was splashed on the handle when it was still wet, and left little impacts.

I went with black because he didnt have anything close to the blue I had decided on, and I had already talked myself out of red. I'm indifferent. In retrospect red would have been good, but I don't hate the black. The color is a "semi-flat black".

ALSO, the cover (with the logo and handle) wasnt near as straight as I thought it was, clean black paint REALLY brought out a couple small dings I could have easily beat out.

I lubed the drawer slides with white lithium grease, and they're so smooth.

I got a quote of $50!!! to re-chrome the handle and logo. I will probably eventually do that, but I cant afford it now. I hit them with some fine steel wool, and it really shined them up, but did put some micro scratches in the old chrome.
    All I need is a lock and key.

How it started

Straightening some drawers

These are the drawer slides. I soaked them in a product called "Evapo-rust". $8.99 for a quart at O'rielly's. Worked great

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Nice!

Comment

You are another Rick Dale!

Comment

how did you straighten the boxes?

looks great, btw
        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          You are another Rick Dale!
          False, I didnt call it restored, and I'm not charging $800, and there was no added drama, or two tone hair styles on young boys..

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
          how did you straighten the boxes?

looks great, btw
          With a ball-peen hammer, and a block of wood. Ideally I would have used a dolly and a body hammer, which I dont have, nor do I have the cash for.
          I read an old book called "The Key to metal bumping", which helped quite a bit
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

looks good. i would imagine if it were restored to like new, it could be worth some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
              False, I didnt call it restored, and I'm not charging $800

if it were american restoration quotes, you'd be missing a zero lol

it looks fantastic, I'm still searching estate sales and yard sales for an "old" Snap on toolbox. Good job!

-k

Comment

My Snap-on top box looks almost like that one (only difference is I have 3 small drawers across the top). I bought it used in 1983. Where is the PN on these boxes? I keep thinking I want to buy a new top box, but I've had this one so long I can't part with it.

Comment

You powdercoated a Snap-On box BLACK?! Sacrilege!

Looks good dude.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

looks great!!!

check this thread out

Comment

Originally posted by beaner72 View Post
                      looks good. i would imagine if it were restored to like new, it could be worth some cash.
                      I dont think I completely destroyed the value. I've considered posting it on ebay for silly money, and if it dosnt sell, no worries because I like it, but if it sold for 5 times what I have in it, then GREAT.
                      I have no where near this $$ in mine

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for ORIGINAL VINTAGE SNAP ON 1949 KRA-56 6 DRAWER TOOL CHEST at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Originally posted by R3_82GT View Post
                      My Snap-on top box looks almost like that one (only difference is I have 3 small drawers across the top). I bought it used in 1983. Where is the PN on these boxes? I keep thinking I want to buy a new top box, but I've had this one so long I can't part with it.
                      should be on the back, in the lower left hand corner. Should have have a date too, probably at the end of the second line. Go check and post the year!

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      You powdercoated a Snap-On box BLACK?! Sacrilege!

Looks good dude.
                      They make them in black these days, but red was the standard back then, I don't care either way.

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                      looks great!!!

check this thread out
                      http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=146631
                      Post in there already ninja!
                      Last edited by HarrisonTX; 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM.
                      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

R3, I miss-spoke, lower RIGHT hand corner or the back.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I didnt know you posted on garagejournal. I never paid any attention to the user names over there. I saw that thread over there also. Neat box.

Comment

I looked at the back. PN ends in 56C and was made in 1980 (garage is too dark to see the rest of the number right now) . I bought it full of Snap-on tools for $500.00 in 1983.

Comment

Wow, I have the exact same box just rotting away outside my dads garage if someone wants it.
                              Ded

Comment

Working...
                              X