Race car involved with 84 deaths to be sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race car involved with 84 deaths to be sold

WEYBRIDGE, England -- A car involved in motor sport's worst ever accident -- in which 84 people were killed -- is expected to be sold at auction Thursday after being kept in a garage for the past 42 years in the north of England.

Detailed as Lot 433 in the December sale of UK auctioneers Bonhams, the Austin Healey two-seater racing car is expected to sell for nearly US$1.6 million, The (London) Times reported.

In 1955, the car had swerved to avoid another vehicle at a refueling stop during the Le Mans 24-hour race and was hit by a Mercedes-Benz traveling at 150mph. The Mercedes took off and crashed into the crowd and sparked several fires.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...#ixzz1fJ87EsxH

It's worth whatever it goes for!

Comment

Ok, that was sad as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
        Uh...ya...I agree. Yikes!

Comment

It's really hard to keep my eyes on the video with your sig in full motion.

Comment

Sold for $1.3 million

Comment

Jesus, that was horrible to watch. Shit flew fucking everywhere.

Comment

I'm a little lost. This car was hit by a mercedes at 150mph? How is it still in one piece? I guess it was just grazed?
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Levegh, ahead of Fangio on the track, did not have time to react. Levegh's car made contact with the left rear of Macklin's car as he closed rapidly (at about 150 mph) upon the slowed car. The aerodynamic design of the Austin-Healey featured a long, ramp-like rear. When Levegh hit the Austin-Healey from behind, his car became airborne, soaring towards the left side of the track, where it landed atop the earthen embankment separating spectators from the track itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster

Levegh, ahead of Fangio on the track, did not have time to react. Levegh's car made contact with the left rear of Macklin's car as he closed rapidly (at about 150 mph) upon the slowed car. The aerodynamic design of the Austin-Healey featured a long, ramp-like rear. When Levegh hit the Austin-Healey from behind, his car became airborne, soaring towards the left side of the track, where it landed atop the earthen embankment separating spectators from the track itself.

could you please be more specific and answer the question?

Comment

Here's a vid that shows the initial impact and the car take off. That car lifting off surely caused the cameraman to shit himself. I wonder if he was one of the ones killed.

Last edited by AdRock; 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM.
                      "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Holeee sheeeet!

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
                          X2. I don't think I would be able to keep racing if I were a driver.

Comment

Holy fuckin shit. I've never even heard of that before.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
                            .223 > 911

Comment

so a flame paint job would be inappropriate?

Comment

Working...
                              X