Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr Burzynski (alternative cancer treatment doctor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teal93turbo View Post
    They did a good job of smearing Wakefield's name, but when he was proven to be correct in his studies no one seemed to take notice, imagine that! The British Medical journal is full of crap. http://www.naturalnews.com/031116_Dr...l_Journal.html
    Yeah, let's not take into account that his study only covered 12 kids... And the blatant conflict of interests Wakefield had. Don't you think if it was a big cover up they wouldn't wait 12 years to remove his license to practice?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      And? One bad apple.

I was aware of it when it happened because I followed it closely. I'll leave it at this. I'm not going to change your opinion, and you're not going to change mine. The statistics that link the rise in autism to the use of thimerosol and govt mandated vaccines is undeniable. At the very least, it's enough to raise eyebrows and make one think. I'm not trying to make you agree. I'm simply saying there is enough evidence out there to be cause for concern.

I like how you both attacked the autism deal and completely ignored the HFCS, though. That made me chuckle.
      I could care less about HFCS. People can avoid that if they want to.

One bad apple? You mean the guy that started the whole thing. Yep. You'd think that if there was a link some reputable body somewhere would say something, yet all you see across the board is every major organization, government affiliated or not, even across borders, saying that there are no links between thimerosal, MMR, and autism.

Comment

Originally posted by teal93turbo View Post
        They did a good job of smearing Wakefield's name, but when he was proven to be correct in his studies no one seemed to take notice, imagine that! The British Medical journal is full of crap. http://www.naturalnews.com/031116_Dr...l_Journal.html
        I'll just leave this here for you.

Comment

I like how you both attacked the autism deal and completely ignored the HFCS, though. That made me chuckle.
          Like I said we already had that argument, I'm going to believe the unbiased doctors, and not the online conspiracy theorists.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Just some fun reading: http://rhysmorgan.co/2011/11/threats...zynski-clinic/

The same doctor who made a big stink about how the FDA is trying to silence him and is now turning around trying to silence a highschool kid for being critical? LMAO.

And below it says that 1.) proper controlled, randomized studies have never been published for review, and 2.) no one else in the scientific community has been able to replicate his "success." Non-repeatable results that have never been peer-reviewed? That's not science.
            Over the past few months when CERN scientists thought they saw neutrinos going faster than the speed of light what did they do? Published all of their data and asked the scientists around the world to review and critique it. This doctor comes up with an equally unbelievable claim and clams up and won't share with anyone?

“Alternative” cancer clinic threatens to sue high school blogger

Everyone has been touched by cancer in one way or another. If you haven’t had it yourself, the odds are extremely high you know someone who has, and who has died from it. I’ve lost loved ones to cancer, and it’s awful; it can take years filled with tests, hope, lack of hope, expensive therapy… and in the end the odds are what they are. It all makes for desperate times for those involved, with an emotional distress level that is beyond my ability to describe.

There are people out there who claim they can cure cancer, or have therapies that can mediate it. Some of these people are simply con artists, ready to swoop in as soon as they smell blood in the water, vermin that they are. Others are honest but wrong, thinking they have stumbled on some therapy that no one else has found. However, time and again, when these alternative methods are tested rigorously using controlled, properly done studies, they are shown not to work. In general this does not stop people from making the claims, however.

In Houston, Texas, is a man named Stanislaw Burzynski. He claims he has a method for treating cancer. He calls it antineoplaston therapy. However, according to the National Cancer Institute, “No randomized, controlled trials showing the effectiveness of antineoplastons have been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals.” That’s a bad sign. Furthermore, the FDA has not approved of antineoplaston therapy for use. Also telling is that “… other investigators have not been able to obtain the same results reported by Dr. Burzynski and his team”. Yet, despite this, Burzynski charges hundreds of thousands of dollars for people to get his therapy — though he has to say they’re participating in research trials, since the FDA won’t allow him to use his ideas as an actual treatment.

Those are red flags, to be sure.

However, I am not an expert on cancer, so I rely on the advice and expertise of others. Dr. Steve Novella, who certainly is an expert both in medicine and the misuses thereof, has some choice words about Burzynski and his ideas. So does David Calquhoun, a British pharmacologist. So does — at great length and detail — Dr. David Gorski, and so does the website Quackometer (and again here as well) and so does the Cancer Research UK Science blog.

Most importantly, so does Rhys Morgan. Who’s that? He’s a 17-year-old high school student who has blogged about Burzynski, in a factually stated but highly critical manner. So what did Burzynski’s clinic do?

They threatened to sue.

In general, it’s a little unusual, to say the least, for a team doing medical research to sue someone for criticizing them. That’s because real science thrives on criticism, since it’s only through critiques that the potential errors of a particular method can be assessed — that’s why research is supposed to be published in peer-reviewed journals as well. Suing is the antithesis of that idea.

Rhys has posted the letters sent to him by Burzynski’s clinic, and it’s actually rather amazing. Being threatened with libel is no fun, but Rhys handles himself absolutely correctly and with great aplomb. The threats from Burzynski’s clinic are, um, not very polite, to put it mildly. I’ll note that the clinic has threatened to sue multiple people, including Peter Bowditch and Andy Lewis, two other bloggers who have criticized antineoplaston therapy.

[UPDATE: The clinic is distancing itself from the threats made, which it is now saying were done by an independent contractor who is not the clinic's lawyer.]

Why is this important? Because desperate families are willing to pay the exorbitant fees charged by the clinic when loved ones are dying of cancer. It breaks my heart, but it’s also totally understandable they would do this. Who wouldn’t, if they really thought some alternative treatment might work?

In this case though, there is no credible evidence to support Burzynski’s claims, and there is credible evidence to suggest it doesn’t work. And, intentional or not, the clinic’s threats of libel are producing a chilling effect, an atmosphere that silences and stifles the freedom of speech to critically analyze and present facts about Burzynski’s claims. That is unacceptable. If you have a moment, go read Rhys Morgan’s blog post, and leave him some love in the comments. You can also log into the Web Of Trust and vote on how reliable you think Burzynski’s website is.
            Last edited by Strychnine; 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

And? One bad apple.

I was aware of it when it happened because I followed it closely. I'll leave it at this. I'm not going to change your opinion, and you're not going to change mine. The statistics that link the rise in autism to the use of thimerosol and govt mandated vaccines is undeniable. At the very least, it's enough to raise eyebrows and make one think. I'm not trying to make you agree. I'm simply saying there is enough evidence out there to be cause for concern.

You're wrong bro. The doctor in England that tried to link the two, and is the most often cited, used a sample group of 8, and did some jail time over that study.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                Just some fun reading: http://rhysmorgan.co/2011/11/threats...zynski-clinic/

The same doctor who made a big stink about how the FDA is trying to silence him and is now turning around trying to silence a highschool kid for being critical? LMAO.

And below it says that 1.) proper controlled, randomized studies have never been published for review, and 2.) no one else in the scientific community has been able to replicate his "success." Non-repeatable results that have never been peer-reviewed? That's not science.
                Over the past few months when CERN scientists thought they saw neutrinos going faster than the speed of light what did they do? Published all of their data and asked the scientists around the world to review and critique it. This doctor comes up with an equally unbelievable claim and clams up and won't share with anyone?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...chool-blogger/
                Steve jobs went into a similar treatment for his pancreatic cancer and avoided surgery when he should have. He said before he died that it was the biggest mistake he made.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

My wife has brain cancer and we looked extensively into Dr. Burzynski. We passed based on our research. YMMV.
                  Ford
                  GM
                  Toyota
                  VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                    My wife has brain cancer and we looked extensively into Dr. Burzynski. We passed based on our research. YMMV.
                    I'm sorry to hear that. If there's anything I can do, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                      You're wrong bro. The doctor in England that tried to link the two, and is the most often cited, used a sample group of 8, and did some jail time over that study.
                      No, I'm not. I didn't mention that study, re read what you quoted.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

He invented the idea. If you read it from someone else, it was based on his study.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          He invented the idea. If you read it from someone else, it was based on his study.
                          I don't know where you guys are misunderstanding what I said. Statistics. The rise in reported cases of autism, vs the implementation of govt mandated vaccines. These are facts. Undeniable. This Dr may have pursued a theory, but what I speak of isn't a scientific theory. It's cold hard facts. I will post links later, when I'm not posting from the phone.

Comment

Fair enough. I just don't see the link. Kids consume more BPA than thimerosol, but you never see celebrities raising hell about that. I'm of the opinion that the thimerosol/autism link is just a cause célèbre.

Comment

I don't know where you guys are misunderstanding what I said. Statistics. The rise in reported cases of autism, vs the implementation of govt mandated vaccines. These are facts. Undeniable. This Dr may have pursued a theory, but what I speak of isn't a scientific theory. It's cold hard facts. I will post links later, when I'm not posting from the phone.
                              That isn't anything?! How weak of an argument could you POSSIBLY fabricate? The whole IDEA you are quoting got the doctor (whos theory you believe hook line and sinker) went to JAIL and was DISBARRED for FABRICATING evidence.

Two completely unrelated things are facts? No conclusive evidence they are linked? It's all theories! A fact is something that can be proven through evidence. Autism rising at the same time vaccines rise is NOT proof they are linked. It is proof autism and vaccine rates are rising.

If anything has proven, they are conclusively not linked at all. Do you REALLY think the entire medical world would ignore a cause/cure to one of the biggest childhood diseases? It's just asinine, I don't even see how you can honestly believe this garbage. Another conspiracy theory.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                                That isn't anything?! How weak of an argument could you POSSIBLY fabricate? The whole IDEA you are quoting got the doctor (whos theory you believe hook line and sinker) went to JAIL and was DISBARRED for FABRICATING evidence.

Two completely unrelated things are facts? No conclusive evidence they are linked? It's all theories! A fact is something that can be proven through evidence. Autism rising at the same time vaccines rise is NOT proof they are linked. It is proof autism and vaccine rates are rising.

If anything has proven, they are conclusively not linked at all. Do you REALLY think the entire medical world would ignore a cause/cure to one of the biggest childhood diseases? It's just asinine, I don't even see how you can honestly believe this garbage. Another conspiracy theory.

Lol. Calm the fuck down, dude. Youre wound the fuck up for no reason at all. Im not trying to take your guns away, so settle down. Are you capable of keeping a level head? My first reply to you in this thread said I'm not sold on anything. The post Yale responded to, said basically that autism cases started rising when more and more vaccines started being mandated. The facts are there. If you choose to ignore them, that's on you. I'm not trying to link anything together. I'm not a scientist, and neither are you. All I've said from the get go, which you either ignored or never saw, is that it's enough to be cause for concern, and raise eyebrows.

You can call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. No sweat off my back, because anyone that actually knows me, knows its far from the truth. Just like I could call you a gun an religion cleaning nutbag. That doesn't make it true, nor do I even think it. I used to think you were an intelligent dude. I dot know what your problem is with me, nor do I care. You can sit and spin for all I care, have a nice day, nutbag.

Comment

Working...
                                X