• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooooh, she's bendy!

Boeing 787; ~25 ft wingtip deflection

Wing ultimate load test complete on 787
    Posted by Guy Norris at 3/29/2010 2:27 AM CDT

Boeing completed the ultimate limit-load test on the static test 787 airframe, ZY997, at Everett on March 28. The test – officially dubbed Condition 18b - evaluates the ability of the wing-body structure to sustain loads equal to 150% design limit load - or the most extreme forces ever expected to be seen in service, and its clearance marks the passing of a significant hurdle on the way to FAA certification.

During the test, which occurred with 14.9 psi fuselage pressure, the wingtips deflected upwards by approximately 25 ft. The test, which did not continue until the wings failed, was also a key evaluation of the strengthened side-of-body modification which in June last year caused a six-month delay to the start of 787 flight tests. The deflection of the higher-aspect ratio composite wing was greater than that of the metallic 777 wing, the last major primary structure to undergo “wing ultimate up-bending” tests in Boeing’s sprawling Everett site more than 15 years ago. The 777 wing failed at 154%, having deflected 24 ft.

Internally Boeing is hailing the test as a major success, though externally the company is sounding a note of caution. “The initial results of the ultimate-load test are positive. More extensive analysis and review are required before the test can be deemed a success,” says Boeing.

Challenge accepted

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post

Challenge accepted
      You sir, win the bendy contest.

Comment

noice!

Comment

fail title.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            Boeing 787; ~25 ft wingtip deflection

So, to save on fuel is it going to flap it's wings???

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
              So, to save on fuel is it going to flap it's wings???
              Ding ding ding!

Comment

I remember flying in a DC80 and seeing it's wings flap like it was a bird in a major storm. It was pretty cool but my coworkers were freaked out. I don't think it helped any that I was kicking the bottom of their seats in a rythimic pattern!
                Annoying people, one post at a time!

Comment

Fuck a bunch of ever flying in a storm capable of that.

Comment

There is supposed to be a good (disturbing) video of the JSF undergoing a similar test. I'll try to find it and post it up.

There is just something wrong with ripping the wings off an $80 million dollar jet...
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Fuck a bunch of ever flying in a storm capable of that.
                      Matt could probably correct me if I am wrong here but the stress tests far exceed real life possibilities.

Ive been on a few bumpy flights and the wings only move 16 inches or so (I am assuming).

But yeah, If I looked out and saw my wing doing that shit I would expect to be waking up shortly after...

I love this kind of stuff though. I had the privilege of watching the V-22 fuselage stress test when I worked at BH off 10 and it was pretty neat. Nothing like this though, more squeeks, popping and whinning than anything.
                      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                        Matt could probably correct me if I am wrong here but the stress tests far exceed real life possibilities.

Ive been on a few bumpy flights and the wings only move 16 inches or so (I am assuming).

But yeah, If I looked out and saw my wing doing that shit I would expect to be waking up shortly after...

I love this kind of stuff though. I had the privilege of watching the V-22 fuselage stress test when I worked at BH off 10 and it was pretty neat. Nothing like this though, more squeeks, popping and whinning than anything.
                        Usually in aviation things are over engineered 50% er so

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post

My sarcasm exceeds your engineered levels.

Comment

You want bendy wings, try rotary wings.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              You want bendy wings, try rotary wings.
                              rigid....

Comment

Working...
                              X