Just about the weirdest helicopter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about the weirdest helicopter

Kaman has never been one to think inside the box, but this one is wayyyy out there. The amazing thing is how much they can lift relative to their size, they are one of only a few that can lift more than their own weight.
    The K-Max...
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Odd...
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

man..I just dont trust the 2 props going at intersecting angles to eachother

Comment

Yeah, it's not forgiving at all, that's for sure. Kaman is the only company that's had any success with the design. The HH-34 Huskie was in service from the 1950s until the 1970s and had a pretty good track record. The K-Max works on the same principle, just a smaller fuselage and updated design.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

looks like it takes some crazy mechanical calculating to design this sort of thing to where the blades never touch one another. wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
            Yeah, it's not forgiving at all, that's for sure. Kaman is the only company that's had any success with the design. The HH-34 Huskie was in service from the 1950s until the 1970s and had a pretty good track record. The K-Max works on the same principle, just a smaller fuselage and updated design.
            Didn't the Russians have one?
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Better make sure your blade tracking and balance are perfect on that one.

Comment

They are probably both driven off the same gear so there is no issue with anything syncing. Only way they can contact is if the gear sheds a tooth. Pretty smart idea, twice the lift and no need for tail rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                  They are probably both driven off the same gear so there is no issue with anything syncing. Only way they can contact is if the gear sheds a tooth. Pretty smart idea, twice the lift and no need for tail rotor.
                  This.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    Didn't the Russians have one?
                    The Russians (and Soviets before them) used and still use helicopters with coaxial rotors, where one is above the other and rotate in opposite directions, but both on a horizontal plane. It's actually a more complicated design, mechanically speaking, but they've had good success with it.

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                    Right, one engine feeding one main gearbox, which feeds two auxiliary drive gear boxes. If anything in either aux gearbox lets go, it's an express ride to a smoking hole in the ground. That design does not allow for autorotation if something like that happens.

Comment

It's a close call between this and the Sikorsky X2 in terms of cool design factors. I like the way this us set up though!

Comment

At 0:40 was he pumping the gas pedal? lol
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          At 0:40 was he pumping the gas pedal? lol
                          Lol, it kind of looked and sounded like it. The clicking sound before the engine lights off is actually the igniters in the engine.

Comment

As he's holding the starter down he's watching the Tot's or TGT's to raise and fall before he injects any fuel. HArt starts are no bueno!

Comment

Pretty cool but I would be nervous to fly in it. I know they probably did their homework on the design, but I would not be able to get the thought out of my head about the rotors hitting each other. Kind of like zombies; I know it's probably not going to happen but it still scares the piss out of me.
                              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                              X