Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone daily driven a restored classic car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone daily driven a restored classic car?

As I'm looking fir another daily driver I've got the itch to get an older restored car like this one:

For daily commuting. All of my commuting is 70mph on the freeway fwiw.

Anyone here done this before? Just looking for input as I search.

Last edited by SMKR; 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM.

That's a good looking car, but with no power steering or brakes, and no a/c, dailying that would get real old real quick.

Comment

Aye good observations, very true

Comment

Thats sweet. I wonder with that much invested why he didn't install ac.

Comment

The brakes and steering you can overlook. A/C ya cant. I DD'ed a 65 coupe for two years and it had drum manual brakes and manual steering. That was all fine and dandy, without A/C sucked!!

Comment

the car is in tennesee... not real hot so no need for a/c. those cars are fine without power steering or brakes. you'll be fine
            first class white trash

Comment

One of my best friends has daily driven his '66 stang since highschool (15+ years). He's had side pipes, loud mufflers, a stiff clutch, and manual steering the entire time. He's a bit "hardcore" old school, and enjoys the raw nature of the car, so not your typical "creature comfort" type guy.

Old cars were daily driven when they were made, so I don't seeing it being an issue at all, just don't expect it to drive like a modern car. I'd be more worried about theft and vandalism driving something like all the time that though.

Comment

The first car I owned was a '67 white coupe with 3 speed auto, drum brakes, AM radio, red interior and no A/C. I had it for three years and drove it around 60,000 miles. Having no P/S or brakes was not a problem. But Dallas in the summer w/o a/c is a big problem. I got married in 1968, our first kid came along in 1969 and I traded the car for a family car, 1970 Galaxie 500 4 door w/351W (with A/C). My 6 month old daughter was frightened when she got in it for the first time at the dealer....she had never been in a car with an A/C and did not know where the cold air was coming from!

Get some A/C and you will like it!
                Mustangs previously owned:
                1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                1992 LX AOD
                1993 LX Drag Car
                1995 GTS
                1997 Cobra
                2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                2016 Honda Accord Touring
                2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

I daily drive all of my classic stuff. Just need to keep an eye open in the fact that the cars are a lot more tempermental compared the the newer stuff. Drum brakes when maintained correctly are fine for daily use. There are companies that make retro fit a/c units that are just as good as newer a/c cars have now. Make sure you have a gear ratio that is livable at freeway speeds. Make sure you are capable in the fact that there will be issues that will need to be taken care of like carb tuning, timing ect when the seasons change.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    One of my best friends has daily driven his '66 stang since highschool (15+ years). He's had side pipes, loud mufflers, a stiff clutch, and manual steering the entire time. He's a bit "hardcore" old school, and enjoys the raw nature of the car, so not your typical "creature comfort" type guy.

Old cars were daily driven when they were made, so I don't seeing it being an issue at all, just don't expect it to drive like a modern car. I'd be more worried about theft and vandalism driving something like all the time that though.
                    Well I'd being going from my garage to a garage locked facility twice a month (flower mound to San antonio) so I'd just need it to get somewhat decent gas mileage- at least 12. But you make very good points.

Comment

Dang, that red GT with the ponies is clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        Dang, that red GT with the ponies is clean!
                        yea im currently the high bidder, but reserve hasnt been hit and thats about the top id pay

Comment

I love that classic! Do want.
                          04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

do you count a fairmont as a classic?

Comment

Working...
                            X