No announcement yet.

Now this is just bad ass.... (Military)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is just bad ass.... (Military)

IR camouflage....

http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses...ideo/index.htm

I call bullshit or they have some pretty CRAPPY IR equipment. Seems fake.
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Doubt it's terribly complicated. Could even be as simple as semiconductive panels that cool the external surface to ambient temperatures.

Actually - that's exactly what they do: http://robotpig.net/engineering-news...-systems-_2102
      Men have become the tools of their tools.
      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

wicked cool!

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
          Doubt it's terribly complicated. Could even be as simple as semiconductive panels that cool the external surface to ambient temperatures.

Actually - that's exactly what they do: http://robotpig.net/engineering-news...-systems-_2102
          But wouldn't it need to be the temp of the background/foreground images and not the air temperature? When it "cloaks" it looks just like the trees.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
            But wouldn't it need to be the temp of the background/foreground images and not the air temperature? When it "cloaks" it looks just like the trees.
            The video could be doctored. I'd never rule that out. If this is primarily defense against IR guided weapons and detection systems, then it may be that the images presented to us really are made more palatable to our eye for marketing, when defeating automated IR systems is easier. I really don't know.

More than likely, for ground based camouflage, you'd definitely not go with just ambient temperatures because a solid block of one color against a random background would be visible as well. It might be that they randomly allow for brighter and dimmer pixels and let the human eye tend to synthesize continuity when images are grainy or irregular.

I'd also suggest that the system could take it's own IR images and superimpose some pixelated interpolation of the image on the opposite side - completing the image. Would it be exact? Probably not; especially as the viewing angle is more from the side but then there may not be any need from any appreciable distance.

It's the same concept with the "digital" camouflage BDUs the military switched to. It definitely happens in low light conditions or where images are monochromatic. The human eye simply can't discern any distinct shape at distance. Same thing with fooling basic automated IR systems, and especially IR systems with pixelated displays for human eyes.

But, I dunno. I'm kind of just thinking out loud here.
            Men have become the tools of their tools.
            -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

theres also use of camera angles to not show any absorbed radiant energy. IE looking down at the ground

Comment

Maybe this can help you undertsnad how it works.

Called ADAPTIV, the system features hundreds of hexagonal metal “pixels” that quickly change temperature to match the heat signature of a vehicles’ surroundings — therefore rendering it invisible to infra-red cameras. ADAPTIV pixels can even be programmed to mimic the heat signature and shape of other vehicles; making a tank look like a car, for example.

The pixels can easily be bolted onto a vehicles’ hull or ballistic armor plates, according to the company.

On-board cameras pick up the background scenery and display that infra-red image on the vehicle, allowing even a moving tank to match its surroundings. Alternatively, it can mimic another vehicle or display identification tags, reducing the risk of fratricide.
                Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD. You wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences!

90 GT Carb 331, heads cam and a lot of bottle
                95 Tbird SC forged 3.8, MPX supercharger, heads cam, and a little bottle

Comment

BAE isn't exactly in the business of bullshit. They have many HUGE military contracts.

They are partners in the F-35, make the Bradley, Paladin, and (I think) used to make the MTV platform before selling to Stewart Stevenson.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                    BAE isn't exactly in the business of bullshit. They have many HUGE military contracts.

They are partners in the F-35, make the Bradley, Paladin, and (I think) used to make the MTV platform before selling to Stewart Stevenson.
                    What he said... I assure you its not fake.
                    2004 Cobra
                    www.boostedgt.com
                    www.teamzmotorsports.net

Comment

Who here actually works on IR equipment? Just curious.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                      X