Update On The 66 Coupe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update On The 66 Coupe!

If you remember, back in February I picked up a 66 Coupe for my little brother.

Link to old thread.
    Thought I'd share. Picked up another coupe. Bought this today for my little brother. Nothing special, I6, C4, AC, original color and it was originally sold in the Dallas area. No big plans, just 5lug disc brake conversion, clean it up and make it a nice driver.

Well after 6 months of it sitting on my trailer because he hasn't been out to pick it up, I started playing.

Yanked the motor Tuesday night and dropped the new one in Thursday night. Nothing special, just 6 cylinders of inline FURY!

Then I went out this morning and put it up in the air.

So as of this afternoon, we went from 4 lug drums all around to Granada spindles/discs with dual piston calipers, a narrowed Explorer 8.8 w/ disc brakes and 3.55 gears. It's now back on the ground with a set of late model Mustang wheels.

Here are some pics..

Old motor

Cool Cat Wiggin It!

Engine bay

New motor in. I6 FTW!

What I started with this morning

Mustang, check, thick skin, check, CAR ON JACK STANDS, check. Now I am an official member of DFWMustangs.

My new Craigslist Ad. For Sale - Super RARE K-Code 4 lug drum brakes!

Hover conversion

10.5 FR500s. Time for a mini tub

New front brakes

Granada spindles and rotors. Cobra calipers are just for show. It'll get regular PBRs

Old school Torque Thrusts? Maybe a T/A Series Clone in the future

Narrowed Explorer 8.8. 3.55 gears, 31 spline axles, disc brakes, etc, etc.

And back on the ground. Wheel are "so so" temporary. Needs to be dropped an inch or so.

Comment

Looking good. That's the color I'm going to paint my 66 GT. How much did you narrow the 8.8? It looks like the pinion is still off center? Did you go with the granada spindles, because you couldn't find any v8 spindles? I think I may have some that I might be willing to sell.
      Mine goes to the paint and body shop next week. I'll post up some pics as I make progress.

Comment

Looks good. That's the same color my car was originally.
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Man, your so so wheels look great to be honest. Good rear choice. Good setup.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

looking good!

Comment

Wheels do look good. I put a set of '04 Mach1's on a '65 vert I had.

Sometimes new style wheels can look good.

Comment

Mine has Bullitts.
                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

That looks good. Is the ac unit up and running?

Comment

I like the wheels. I think they may look even better with a slightly smaller tire
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

You or whoever is in that one pic looks exactly like dale earnhart jr.
                      2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
                        Wheels do look good. I put a set of '04 Mach1's on a '65 vert I had.

Sometimes new style wheels can look good.
                        Like this? I've got wheels out the ying yang around here. I'm running late model wheels on both my 65 coupes, my 66 Ranchero and my 69 Fastback.

Last edited by homealone; 08-27-2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                          Like this? I've got wheels out the ying yang around here.

I dig it!
                          2012 GT500

Comment

You've got one lucky brother.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryJ View Post
                              How much did you narrow the 8.8? It looks like the pinion is still off center? Did you go with the granada spindles, because you couldn't find any v8 spindles?
                              Narrowed it about 2-3 inches. 2.5 comes to mind. The pinion is centered now. We went Granada for the ease and cost. I have several sets of V8 spindles and brakes for other projects.

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
                              That looks good. Is the ac unit up and running?
                              Its complete but I haven't tried t yet. I assume it will funtion.

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              I like the wheels. I think they may look even better with a slightly smaller tire
                              That's the plan but the tires are in such good shape we'll go shorter when they wear out.

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                              You or whoever is in that one pic looks exactly like dale earnhart jr.
                              That's Cool Cat off the board. I think he looks more like Opie Taylor.
                              Last edited by homealone; 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X