No announcement yet.

Any cooks out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a reason that the fire box needs to be lower than the main pit or would it work ok if you just took one pipe and sectioned off one end for the fire box? I realize heat raises etc, but does it really affect how it will cook?

The reason I ask is because I got a partially built pit for free and that's the way the previous person started it. I'm not sure if I should continue with their design or cut it apart and build it like they are traditionally done.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
      Is there a reason that the fire box needs to be lower than the main pit or would it work ok if you just took one pipe and sectioned off one end for the fire box? I realize heat raises etc, but does it really affect how it will cook?

The reason I ask is because I got a partially built pit for free and that's the way the previous person started it. I'm not sure if I should continue with their design or cut it apart and build it like they are traditionally done.
      Good info here... http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_smokers.html

Don't know if it answers your question though. Might have to do with O2 meeting the coals, and not being choked by the smoke.
      Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
      Baja-Bob.com

Comment

The smoke seasons it.
        Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
          You dont have to cook anything for 24 hours, the longer you cook it, the more smokey it taste. Hickory or Apple Tree wood is the best flavor of wood. I really dont know all the physics to make it hold a temperature. It just does.

You can cook several kinds of meat at once, you'll have to move it around from time to time depending on the hot spots.
          Pecan rocks but mainly it just depends on what you are smoking. Smoking meats longer at a lower temp just makes them a litlle more tender and juicy of course there are limitations to this. Also and last but not least, most meat will retain all the flavor it is going to get from smoking in the first two to three hours. I have done a few tests and used the smoker for 2 hours and finished off in the oven, and using the smoker for the full cook. Same taste. Now that I have an electric smoker I just add chips for the first two to three hours and then just let it finish off like a regular oven. I am no expert by any stretch but I have smoked for years on and off.

Oh and good job on the smoker it looks nice.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
            Good info here... http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_smokers.html

Don't know if it answers your question though. Might have to do with O2 meeting the coals, and not being choked by the smoke.
            Lots of good information in there. I think I may continue with the single pipe design and build the baffle across the bottom of the cooking section. I hate to see this thing go to waste, because it is one thick piece of steel. Currently its just the pipe with legs and the top half of one end cut off for the fire box section, yet I can still barely pick up one end of it.

Comment

Hey guys.... there is a food forum that happens to talk about all this.

So I tried smoking a brisket for the first time yesterday and it turned out decent. The one thing I was not happy with was that it was just a tad bit tough. Not the worst I have had by any stretch but I would like it to be a bit more tender. The smoke flavor and the rub came out great and it was nice a moist for the most

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                Hey guys.... there is a food forum that happens to talk about all this.

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12304
                Ehhh so we derailed the thread just a little bit.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  Ehhh so we derailed the thread just a little bit.
                  It's a rare occassion but it does happen from time to time on this site.

Comment

Can't see from the pics but does the exhaust go down to grill level? I've found in my horizontal offset smoker that the heat makes a bee line from the fire box to the exhaust. I put in a diffuser plate and extended my stack down to grill level and it has much more even temps across it and vertically that way.
                    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

That makes alot sense actually, thanks for the tip. Right now it's just tacked on top, no hole yet.

Comment

I bet it sucked cutting all that 1/4" steel

Comment

the stack definately needs to be shorter with a flap or adjustable lid on it, so you can control the amount of smoke that stays in the pit, as well as the temp.

More air flow thru a smoker increases the temp inside, more oxygen, more fire. The best way to maintain a steady temp is to have an exhaust that is adjustable and an intake at the firebox that is adjustable. This way you can meter the air coming in and the smoke leaving the meat chamber.

As for the offset style smoker box, this is mainly to keep from having a wide variance in temps from one side of the grill to the other, also the smoke hole is higher than the fire, so that fresh air and oxygen enter low, and smoke exits high.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                            Can't see from the pics but does the exhaust go down to grill level? I've found in my horizontal offset smoker that the heat makes a bee line from the fire box to the exhaust. I put in a diffuser plate and extended my stack down to grill level and it has much more even temps across it and vertically that way.
                            The only problem I've heard of with a setup like that is on longer cooks, you don't cycle your smoke, meaning you get "stale" smoke in the pit, until you open the lid.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              I bet it sucked cutting all that 1/4" steel
                              I guessed at that, it's actually 7/16 thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                                The only problem I've heard of with a setup like that is on longer cooks, you don't cycle your smoke, meaning you get "stale" smoke in the pit, until you open the lid.
                                Never heard that before but I haven't noticed any negative effect on flavor after doing it. It seems to be considered a standard mod on horizontal offset cookers. I would think as long as there is enough flow from the exhaust then regardless of its location it will pull the smoke through from the whole smoker. Main thing is to never have the exhaust more choked off than the intake.
                                Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                                Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                                X