Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even scientists with advanced degrees can become homeless.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a cousin who has found himself semi-homeless. After a divorce, he finds himself barely making ends meet working at a BBQ place getting as many hours as possible. He has taught and has a teaching degree and working on his next degree, but has not been able to secure anything full time especially in Summer. He's just hanging in there as best he can not asking for handouts trying to continue studying. He has had a few teaching interviews but nothing has panned out yet. He has never drank, drugs, smoke or anything. Nonetheless he is living in a tent in this heat in a state park until he can save up again and get back into a roof over his head. He is out in East Texas and not a lot of job options that would not take him far away from his kids and or his studies. He's trying to better himself and make do until he gets there, but in the mean time it is rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      I have a cousin who has found himself semi-homeless. After a divorce, he finds himself barely making ends meet working at a BBQ place getting as many hours as possible. He has taught and has a teaching degree and working on his next degree, but has not been able to secure anything full time especially in Summer. He's just hanging in there as best he can not asking for handouts trying to continue studying. He has had a few teaching interviews but nothing has panned out yet. He has never drank, drugs, smoke or anything. Nonetheless he is living in a tent in this heat in a state park until he can save up again and get back into a roof over his head. He is out in East Texas and not a lot of job options that would not take him far away from his kids and or his studies. He's trying to better himself and make do until he gets there, but in the mean time it is rough.
      Where in East Texas? How far away is too far?

There are jobs here.

Comment

I feel bad for him losing his job, but being homeless is his own fault. Granted I don't have the level of education he does and he probably has made a lot more money than I do, but I have an engineering degree from UC Berkeley and worked in robotics and when I lost my job and couldn't find anything else I worked for a septic construction company for a couple years literally shovelling shit for a living sometimes. I got a job in telecom after that but you do what you have to do to pay the bills. This guy just gave up.
        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
        X